Impeller and Cover

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Crazie

#21 Post by Crazie »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Dec 8 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The wacker silicone has changed its number and designation to Elastosil A 442 It is a silicone rubber sealant. You can get it at any international dealer or ford dealer. The international number for the large caulk tube is 1830856C1
It does cost a lot for you guys on the street . I get the small tubes with certain gasket kits and give them away when I can but have not had to many projects as of late so you will have to buy it. I know the price on it has doubled in the last few years.
I will try to find out if there is a aftermarket version available.

Well, I dug around and sent out a few e-mails to get the info. I have the price from one of the distributors and it's not too expensive per tube, but the minimum order is 20 (@ 19.50 each). Definitely too pricey for me...since I could never use that much.

Crazie

#22 Post by Crazie »

Did find it cheaper for 10oz tubes. Must be ordered by case (12 tubes) @ 16 per tube. I'm still waiting on feedback from another distributor.

Crazie

#23 Post by Crazie »

ARGH!!!! Still Leaking!!!!

Well, it's not leaking from the top, it's leaking from the bottom of the water pump cover...somewhere in the middle of it.

It leaked within 10 minutes of filling it with coolant. At this point, I'm just going to limp it through the season...and deal with it when I don't have riding to do. Since it's only a slow leak, and only when it's not running, I'll just fill it when necessary and deal with it later.

I know I have a couple of trips in Jan. so maybe I'll tackle it again afterwords. If anyone has other suggestions that might work, I'm all ears.

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

Well what the hey!I dont know.Maybe a crack or one of the locating things isnt seated in all the way?

Crazie

#25 Post by Crazie »

Yeah...I just shook my head and laughed (OK, so it wasn't exactly laughing). It's funny though, because I can't see any specific spot, but the underside of the cover where it meets the head is wet, and it's not wet anywhere else.

I just put a new seal (O-ring) in when putting it together, and put a little sealant on the o-ring as well (tiny bit, really just to help keep it in the groove during install). I know I didn't pinch the o-ring, so I'm just plain confused...lol.

Maybe I should switch my coolant to water and water-wetter in the mean time, so it doesn't smell like pancakes when I'm riding....lol.

67z400

#26 Post by 67z400 »

I have had the same problem for the past few months. I feel your pain!

67z400

#27 Post by 67z400 »

I just picked up some yamabond from my local dealership. I hope it will solve my slow leak.