Oil leaks.

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Reeve

#1 Post by Reeve »

I just took my 02 Speed out for a quick ride for the first time. It was about a 15 minute ride and when I got back oil was all over the left side of the motor and the right side of the frame. I pulled the tank and found that the valve cover breather hose was cracked and disconnected. The line runs straight to the bottom of the motor and is just left open. I plan to just replace the line but does the amount of oil leaking out of the breather point to blow by? I could not find a source for the leak on the frame on the right side. The oil lines look fine the filler/dip stick was seated and there were no cracks on the frame that I could see. Thanks Reeve.

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

The same thing happened to my Speed last year, oil all over my left boot, it did come from the vent tube on the side cover (nipple on the left rear of engine). It could be several things. Over fill oil, cracked case or bad oil bridge. Check oil amount, put on a new hose and rev it up. See if oil sprays out of the hose. Mine only sprayed at half throttle and above. Post what you find, good luck.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

That vent hose on the left is for the tranny. So like said if any leaks like oil bridge it will overfill tranny and oil will blow out.