Chassis Lube

Q&A about routine maintenance.
NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

I'm wondering what kinds of grease people have been happy with for A-arm pivots, steering stem, and swing-arm bearings.

I've been using some Valvoline synthetic wheel bearing/chassis lube both in the grease gun and by the tub. I've officially decided the stuff is crap and wouldn't recommend it. It's supposed to be waterproof and has a great initial viscosity to it, so I've been using it everywhere listed above including coating other parts like axle spacer, swingarm bolt, and elsewhere to prevent rust. Over time, the stuff appears to be drying out and leaving me with little to no lubrication. I was very disappointed to see how it's hardened up and/or washed out of the a-arm pivots. I'm cleaning it all out and going to try some red stuff from Amsoil. Anyone used it before?

Also, I had several zerks come apart- the spring and ball slid right out of the inside- what gives?? Crappy zerks or is this pretty common? I've seen it rarely before, but 2 of the 4 in my Lonestar a-arms died. Also, anyone know of a grease gun tip that's less than 2" long and might be a little more forgiving to a little angle w/o shooting grease out the hose? I'm using a flexible end and if it's not straight in line, the grease will just shoot out around the zerk. If the tip were a little shorter, it would be easier.

Thanks guys!

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

i use marine grade cheap stuff.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

If there is no movement between parts, it is much better to use Anti-Seize, and not grease.
Key places to use a thin coat of anti-seize:
Pivot-bolt to races and bushings
Rear axle spacer, inside and out
Inside bore of axle bearings, where contacting to axle -- or you can finger-paint the axle between the splines.

But if the parts move in operation?... then use grease. I also use the Marine Grade, like the Sta-Lube blue stuff in the tub, cheap and sticky. For a gun cartridge, there are so many good brands to choose...I think I have some RedLine in my gun now,...and it seems fine. Resistant to saltwater is key feature around here.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

For open hiem joints like the stock tie rods I dont recomend anything but a dry lube . Any kind of grease or oil will just make them wear out very fast when dirt,mud and sand get on it.
If you want to grease them make sure to install the grease boots to keep the dirt out.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

We are supposed to grease these things?

moto440

#6 Post by moto440 »

^ lol i use mobil 1 synthetic in the grease gun, maxima waterproof blue in the tub and anti sieze and a spray dry moly lube for some things, i have been using that combo for well over 10 years of riding and racing with no issues