Oil leak woes

Q&A about routine maintenance.
arcsum68

#1 Post by arcsum68 »

So I thought my stator side seal was leaking again, but it appears that the last time it was fixed it stuck. I pulled the cover/stator and monitored just like last time and it looks to be ok.

I wiped everything down nice and clean, and I think the leak may be coming from somewhere in between the case and the engine cradle.

Can I remove the cradle to inspect it without dropping the motor?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes you could. Scavenger pump cover would be a likely suspect. Canniboomer has some of those reusable gaskets for that which I have had good luck with. Otherwise use a very light coating of sealant with the paper ones on just the engine side. Tranny plugs also are suspect for leaks. Caniboomer also has a copper ring with a o-ring built in for those.

arcsum68

#3 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 24 2009, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you could. Scavenger pump cover would be a likely suspect. Canniboomer has some of those reusable gaskets for that which I have had good luck with. Otherwise use a very light coating of sealant with the paper ones on just the engine side. Tranny plugs also are suspect for leaks. Caniboomer also has a copper ring with a o-ring built in for those.

Thanks, I wont be likely to tear into it until I get back from Pismo, but I am just about fed up with it and it needs to go away.

I dont see anything coming from anywhere I can see/feel. I wiped everything down and checked constantly and it stayed completely dry. It used to be leaking from the stator side seal, and I thought it still was, but that is staying completely dry.

Like I said it appears to just be coming right out from the cradle more on the shifter side than the rear brake side.

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (arcsum68 @ Aug 24 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I wont be likely to tear into it until I get back from Pismo, but I am just about fed up with it and it needs to go away.

I dont see anything coming from anywhere I can see/feel. I wiped everything down and checked constantly and it stayed completely dry. It used to be leaking from the stator side seal, and I thought it still was, but that is staying completely dry.

Like I said it appears to just be coming right out from the cradle more on the shifter side than the rear brake side.

Arcsum68, How often you ride at Pismo? Also where are you out of?

arcsum68

#5 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Aug 24 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Arcsum68, How often you ride at Pismo? Also where are you out of?

I am out of Sacramento, and only about 2x per year.

By the time you drive/eat/break its a solid 6-7 hour drive. Id much rather go to Sand Mountain out by Fallon, NV but I the wife and kid really enjoy Pismo.

Kuma

#6 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (arcsum68 @ Aug 24 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By the time you drive/eat/break its a solid 6-7 hour drive. Id much rather go to Sand Mountain out by Fallon, NV but I the wife and kid really enjoy Pismo.

Much cooler at Pismo this time of year too laugh.gif

arcsum68

#7 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Aug 24 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Much cooler at Pismo this time of year too laugh.gif

Yeah, gotta love the ocean for that reason, theres a pretty good 30 degree difference from here or Sand Mountain.

arcsum68

#8 Post by arcsum68 »

I was reading through some other threads, sounds like the engine cradle may have rubbed through some welds so I will check that out.

I think I am going to try to do it before I leave, I would really like to get this oil leak under control.

arcsum68

#9 Post by arcsum68 »

After inspection again, you may be right Steve. The very bottom of that seal isnt completely visable. I wiped it down as much as I could and it was wet again, but that could also be seepage from another source. I will pull that cradle and pressure test it this weekend to hopefully find out for sure

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (arcsum68 @ Aug 24 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah thats a long drive to get to Pismo.