Oil leak woes

Q&A about routine maintenance.
arcsum68

#11 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Aug 24 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah thats a long drive to get to Pismo.

Where are you out of claas?

claas900

#12 Post by claas900 »

Hanford,so about 2 hours for me. Most times I just make a day trip out of it. I hope to make Pismo in about 4 weeks?

arcsum68

#13 Post by arcsum68 »

Found it, unfortunately I was right, the case is cracked

arcsum68

#14 Post by arcsum68 »

now what?

Will JB Weld stand any chance against this?

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

This is going to sound a little radical but I would Remove the battery, drain all the gas,oils and coolant.Take the scavengerpump cover off and using Brakeclean clean the sump out really good.Then I would flip the quad on grabbar and clean inside and outside again then have it welded.To prevent this a rubber pad or even a few good beads of silicone on engine cradle.No need to even remove engine.JB weld might work but if it doesnt I think it would contaminate any chance for welding which should be very easy in this spot.

arcsum68

#16 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 25 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is going to sound a little radical but I would Remove the battery, drain all the gas,oils and coolant.Take the scavengerpump cover off and using Brakeclean clean the sump out really good.Then I would flip the quad on grabbar and clean inside and outside again then have it welded.To prevent this a rubber pad or even a few good beads of silicone on engine cradle.No need to even remove engine.JB weld might work but if it doesnt I think it would contaminate any chance for welding which should be very easy in this spot.

I have a buddy of a buddy who is a spectacular welder, he can hook me up, but I will need bring my quad to him.

How portable is this thing without the cradle?

Can I drop it back down and transport it?

Also, gas and oil make sense, but why drain the coolant?

Thanks man.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

Maybe just run a tiedown around front of motor to the frame.If you have a airbox that and exhaust are only thing keeping motor from pivoting.Would especially worry about the intake boots ripping if you have airbox.

arcsum68

#18 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 25 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe just run a tiedown around front of motor to the frame.If you have a airbox that and exhaust are only thing keeping motor from pivoting.Would especially worry about the intake boots ripping if you have airbox.

I have a pod filter, and only the head pipe on it right now. HMF has the can for a repack.

rayspeed

#19 Post by rayspeed »

I guess if you are going to have a case crack that one looks pretty manageable...
I think I may have the same thing going on as I have an engine oil leak there that I cannont seem to find yet!

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes it should be easy to weld.I suggested draining coolant because welder might be more comfortable welding it totally upside down.May also want to unplug ECU and Regulator.