tranny fluid

Q&A about routine maintenance.
arcsum68

#1 Post by arcsum68 »

I am in a pinch, I dont want to get into a brand war or anything.

Can I use the 5-40 fully synthetic oil I use in my motor in the transmission? If not what can I get at a parts store that would work well for a trip.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

The problem with using synthetic engine oil sometimes is that the clutches may slip. I have used regular motor oil in a pinch. You can pick up 85W-90W gear oil at the auto parts store. Make sure it is not hypoid gear oil and doesn't have any additives for posi traction.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Just make sure if you use engine oil its made for a Motorcycle.All the Walmarts have the Mobil Motorcycle oils.

2mike18

#4 Post by 2mike18 »

Motorcycle oils have some type of friction additives for the clutch pack and its for that reason they don't recommend automotive motor oil. Since the dale has separate trans and engine oil maybe you could use automotive transmission fluid? I'm not sure what the difference in clutch plates is between the dale and say a GM turbo 350 but can't see it being that different. Maybe someone has already tried it and could fill is in. Just a thought and something I was thinking of trying myself. Pros? Cons? Would be a easy alternative to find.

arcsum68

#5 Post by arcsum68 »

Found a couple threads on the forum that may help me.

Lucas oil is pretty commonly available, non hypoid, and gets as ok on here.

The oil I use in the engine is the 5-40 Rotella which apparentely has no friction modifiers and should be ok for wet clutches.

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...purple&st=0

arcsum68

#6 Post by arcsum68 »

Of course if I go the Lucas route, there are several options to choose from.

They even have a semi synthetic ATF fluid that might be a consideration, any opions on that?

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_p...d=6&catid=6

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

Why are you considering buying ATF? Use motorcycle oil. GEEzus krist

gml1998

#8 Post by gml1998 »

QUOTE (arcsum68 @ Sep 2 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course if I go the Lucas route, there are several options to choose from.

They even have a semi synthetic ATF fluid that might be a consideration, any opions on that?

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_p...d=6&catid=6

I've been using full synthetic Mobil 1 automatic trans fluid. Going on two years with no problems.

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

I would use ATF also.............in an automatic transmission, which is what it is for.......I just don't get it. Why would you mess around using fluids in places they arn't intended? Why not just piss in the tranny? Hey, its liquid, right? I'm sure I'm the bad guy now, but come on!!

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

Maybe i'm wrong. After reading several owners manuals I have lying around for various machines, it seems like just about any slippery fluid you feel like putting in there will work. If you have some atf lying around, hey, why not. The cannondale manual only states "SAE 80w or 85w" and thats all it says. What that means, I have no idea. gear lube? I guess. My honda says 10w 40 classification SG or higher, 4 stroke oil or equivalent motor oil.....