Crank nut removal

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Crazie

#1 Post by Crazie »

So, I pretty much have everything but the head and cam chain removed. I'm trying to get the crank nut off, but I'm afraid to try using anything to counter rotate other parts (for instance, applying opposite pressure to the cams while turning the crank nut).

Any hints as to how I should tackle this? If nothing else, I'm going to remove the flywheel nut from another so I can double nut the shaft on the flywheel side. Is that the best answer?

Thanks guys!

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Crazie @ Sep 13 2009, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, I pretty much have everything but the head and cam chain removed. I'm trying to get the crank nut off, but I'm afraid to try using anything to counter rotate other parts (for instance, applying opposite pressure to the cams while turning the crank nut).

Any hints as to how I should tackle this? If nothing else, I'm going to remove the flywheel nut from another so I can double nut the shaft on the flywheel side. Is that the best answer?

Thanks guys!

Easy.... put the top dead center bolt in . Its normal thread and should come off pretty easy .

Crazie

#3 Post by Crazie »

Hahahaha....okay. Something told me there was an easy way to do this, and I was spacing out. Too many carb cleaner fumes today! Thanks Wistech.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

First engine teardown?
If your wondering how to do something and hammering or prying seems like the only method ...STOP read the manual .
Some things to be aware of is the oil pump drive pin must be removed from oil pump to get the housing off the counterbalnce shaft.
The cartidge plate has 2 small jack screw locations to press it out of the case.
The cyllinder comes out with masking tape in the sleeve and turning the crank .
You would not believe how many times someone has self destroyed thier engine just by disassmbly.
Good idea to ask first .

Crazie

#5 Post by Crazie »

First Dale teardown. Believe me, I always read the manual, and if the answer isn't clear I ask. I keep a printed manual in a binder in the garage. There is way to much free knowledge floating around on these boards for me to just "Wing it"...lol.

I've been reading the manual and following it step by step as far as the teardown goes. Just completely missed the TDC bolt (minus removing it).