Crazie's Engine tear down thread

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Crazie

#1 Post by Crazie »

I'll start by linking to my other thread that leads to this one. That way the background info is there. Short summary...tranny oil was getting into the engine oil, cracked case is the culprit.

See this thread for the full story and pics...

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...=22413&st=0

For now, I'll use this thread to serve as the "Q & A" for things I can't figure out on my own...and it can serve as a show & tell for the tear down itself. This way I can get some input as to the conditions of the components and solutions/preventions for any issues found.

First up in this thread is going to be the piston and valve heads. The tranny and cams are in the above linked thread.

I'll start with the piston....it's yummy looking, if you like burned toast.

Crazie

#2 Post by Crazie »

Valves....more yummy. Checkout the exhaust ports.... dry.gif

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

Was this motor loosing any coolant? It kinda looks like some was leaking out of the weep hole?

I'm not sure why the exhaust ports look that way? Is is pieces of carbon missing or pieces of aluminum sticking to it? Whats the cc'c of this motor again?

Also i know all the tranny bolts where lose,did any of them have lock tight on them? Has there been any lock tight on any of the other bolts?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

The loose tranny plate was probalbly what cracked you case even if the crank plate was done and torqued . Both plates are working together along with the side cover to hold the engine together. When reassmbling is is very important to locktite every single internal bolt no matter what it is. Everyone make such a big deal about securing the plate bolts but many problems are form the small ones falling out . The piston pin acces cover and the small tranny plate bolts that are chamfered are very important to make double sure they are locktited.

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

I know it has been several years since you picked this up from Brian.
How many hours of riding would you guess that you got out of it before this happened?
Just curious.... It would appear that you got a good ride out of it, but I would not have guessed that it would have went down for this!

Don't feel too bad... today I am pulling down my thought I did everything right ported stroker to see what went south at 68 hours.
Meanwhile my non-z bearinged, re-used the piston after a crank failure, not torqued enough cart plates with blue locktite motor still forges on with several hundred hours on it now!
There seems to be no guessing how long these things will go for... or not!

See ya at the dunes this season.... first trip is looking like the weekend before halloween!
Ray

Crazie

#6 Post by Crazie »

Claas - I couldn't see any locktite on the tranny cartridge plate bolts, but they were only finger tight, so any that was on there probably was rattled out from the chattering since the bolts managed to lose any torque they had. The motor was losing coolant, very slowly. Never could get it to stop completely, but I did slow it down. The exhaust shows chipping from the carbon buildup. It's a 468cc.

Wistech - The internals may have been locktited at one time, but I haven't seen much evidence of that yet.

Ray - I got almost two full dune seasons out of it....considering it started losing tranny fluids at the end of our group ride. I'm happy with the ride I got out of it, but I really wish it would have been a seal instead the case. Either way, i have more parts on hand, so now it's just a countdown to see if I can have two running by the season opener or only one. I will have one though.

Not sure what my first weekend will be, depends on how fast I work I guess.

Crazie

#7 Post by Crazie »

Bunch more pics. Starting with the bottom of the piston and the inside of the sleeve.

Crazie

#8 Post by Crazie »

Now for some of the crank assembly (still in tact).

Crazie

#9 Post by Crazie »

More crank...

Crazie

#10 Post by Crazie »

And a few of the case