Charging problem

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Juss

#1 Post by Juss »

Was wondering if anyone has had this problem.I put a new battey in my dale when I got it.After that would start and run fine.So it sat in my garage for about two weeks.So I started it and went to ride it down the street and it died.Battery was dead as a door bell.Took battery back and they said it had a bad cell and gave me another one.So now I went out and rode today.Probbaly rode it about an hour at the most.It did the same thing again.So im not sure if its not charging or over charing.Im going to return battery and see what its putting out.I got battery from a battery center, cost me almost $80.00.I have read on here people having trouble with them.So maybe thats my problem?It had the stock Ursea (sp?) battery in it.Maybe I should go back to that?So im wondering if I may also have a bad voltage regulator etc,but would that ruin the battery?

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

I would first check how much voltage you have when quad is running. Take a voltmeter, or whatever those multi-meter things are called and stick the probe on the positive terminal when it is running and see what you have. From memory, I think it should be over 14 or so when it is revved up some. If it is way higher or lower you know you might have a regulator problem.....but then you have to figure out why the regulator crapped......There are more tests, but I'd have to do some digging to find that info, and I'm not the one with the problem, so I won't do it. There are many different things that may be causing your problem. Start with the easiest to test and go from there. You may have a bad ground, your stator wires may be rubbing and shorted out, maybe a loose connection somewhere...You also may have a voltage drain somewhere and its killing the battery during extended periods of inactivity. Electrical problems can be time consuming and frustrating..

Juss

#3 Post by Juss »

Thanks Im going to see what its putting out tomorrow.Also where do you guys have your grounds?Mine is grounded to the frame behind the fuel regulator.Maybe I need to find a beter place?

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

No, thats the standard spot. Should be fine. There is another one behind the left side headlight bracket.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Juss @ Oct 18 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Im going to see what its putting out tomorrow.Also where do you guys have your grounds?Mine is grounded to the frame behind the fuel regulator.Maybe I need to find a beter place?

I'm in Hanford,if you need some help. I'm sure I have some spare parts we can swap out also.

Juss

#6 Post by Juss »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Oct 19 2009, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in Hanford,if you need some help. I'm sure I have some spare parts we can swap out also.

Thanks for offering help.What are you 1 hour from me?I use to race motocross in hanford at the little okie years ago.Still around?I really love this dale,has awsome power.I smoked a Banshee and an LT250R that my friends ride laugh.gif .I notice if im riding and I kill it for a sec,it does not want to start unless I give its just a bit of throttle.Could the ECM be set to lean?

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Juss @ Oct 18 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for offering help.What are you 1 hour from me?I use to race motocross in hanford at the little okie years ago.Still around?I really love this dale,has awsome power.I smoked a Banshee and an LT250R that my friends ride laugh.gif .I notice if im riding and I kill it for a sec,it does not want to start unless I give its just a bit of throttle.Could the ECM be set to lean?

Yeah about 1 hour. I'm not sure about the okie track?

speedracer

#8 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (Juss @ Oct 18 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may need a throttle recal,sometimes that what causes stalling and hard starts.

Juss

#9 Post by Juss »

I checked the stator and im not gettinmg in output from it.Im going to remove it later today and take a look at it.If anyone has one they want to sell let me know.I seen this one on ebay but for a bike.Looks like wires may be to short,anyone know if it will work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-Cannon...sQ5fAccessories

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

Bike stator will work if you don't have lights to run. You can splice the wires and get it to work if you know for sure your old one is bad.