Countershaft nut

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Kuma

#1 Post by Kuma »

I have been riding ATVs for over 20 years, I have never had a countershaft nut come off before, Friday it happened twice!
First time I was just riding back and forth around camp trying to get some AFR numbers, sprocket fell off and riding on the threads, no damage.
Borrowed a nut and lock washer from Rayspeed, from his spare machine, torqued the nut on bent the washer over one of the nut flats, everything is good.
Not, was out on a night ride, several miles out, same thing happened, no chance of finding the nut and washer. I was able to slide the sprocket back on the splines and rode it all the way back to camp.
Has anyone else had this experiance or heard of this happening? What was done to prevent it from happening again?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Folding over 2 opposite sides of the spline washer will help.
But the sprocket might sometimes become a bit jiggly after a time.

Here's an alternative that I just posted:
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...showtopic=23463

Kuma

#3 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Oct 25 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Folding over 2 opposite sides of the spline washer will help.
But the sprocket will still become a bit jiggly in time.

This issue just came up twice here recently, and I have a new product (cure) for that....I'll post up soon.

Dave do you still have the stock setup as well as the new set up? I've got to see what type Ray would like his replaced with.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Is there excessive endplay in the countershaft?Only other thing I can think of is if it were overtorqued stripped?I use neversieze on mine and never had a problem.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

What can happen is the washer gets used to much and doesn't really lay flat any more so its doesn't grab the splines very well. I like to tap on the inside of the washer to give it a cup shape. Also as said before bend over two sides of it.

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

I agree with Class900. Torque is not what holds these on the spline washer does. I have seen some aftermarket front sprockets that are too thick around the nut area and the spline washer did not even grab the splines! I'll bet that's what the problem was....

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

That makes sense.It probably never happened to me since I very rarely change my countershaft gearing mostly just the rear sprocket.

Kuma

#8 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Oct 26 2009, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Class900. Torque is not what holds these on the spline washer does. I have seen some aftermarket front sprockets that are too thick around the nut area and the spline washer did not even grab the splines! I'll bet that's what the problem was....

I know it was on the splines when I put it on but it could be possible that when the nut is tightened it pushes in the washer so that the center moves off the splines? the threads do not seem stripped, tightened the nut on and no indication of pulling any threads.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

It's not that anything is stripped. These are aluminum nuts that are not designed to be torqued too much. The washer could have came off the splines while you were tightening it as well. Boomer's setup would not be an issue. But, I have never seen this as an issue. But, I love Nordlocs as well.

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Oct 26 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know it was on the splines when I put it on but it could be possible that when the nut is tightened it pushes in the washer so that the center moves off the splines? the threads do not seem stripped, tightened the nut on and no indication of pulling any threads.

That is why i get a hammer and lightly tap the center of the washer in a circular motion to give it a cup shape. In all my years I've only last this nut one time. I've been doing this and bending two sides over and haven't lost one yet.