Hyd clutch sucking air into system?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
rayspeed

#1 Post by rayspeed »

Had a problem last weekend with my old reliable in that the clutch would get spongy to the point of not releasing about ten minutes into a ride. So I had to shift without a clutch and make sure to only stop on an incline, start in neutral and get it rolling before dropping into a gear. I replaced the master and the slave with spare parts I had which was a complete sealed system and it still came back to doing the same thing. I use nothing but the magura oil and it took running the adjustment bolt in and out to get all the air out between rides. It never leaked a drop of fluid and the resivoir stayed full everytime!
So the obvious conclusion is that the line has some sort of hole in it that allows air in somehow and I guess that is what I will have to change next... has anyone else experienced this?
I have the line pretty well routed and tied down... even put on a new chain thinking the heat from that could have been boiling the fluid.
Your thoughts?

2000ex

#2 Post by 2000ex »

It is in the line, there is nothing else it could be with all you replaced. I had a similar issue, clutch would work fine but by the end of the moto I had no clutch. Tiny pin hole in the braided line, so small it was tough to even see. Try replacing that and I will bet that is your answer.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Hit Boomer or Brad up for a replacement line. They both probably have a ton of them from all the slave cylinders being sold off of the entire set-up.

Kuma

#4 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Oct 26 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is in the line, there is nothing else it could be with all you replaced. I had a similar issue, clutch would work fine but by the end of the moto I had no clutch. Tiny pin hole in the braided line, so small it was tough to even see. Try replacing that and I will bet that is your answer.

Wouldn't the oil leak out when you pull the lever in and wet the line giving away the location of the hole?

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

It sure would but it was in a location (down below the stem mount under the plastic) where you could not really see it. Also it was such a small hole that the dribble took a while to find.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Not saying 2000 is wrong but another possibility is that the red adjustment knob has moved out of place. It is just pushed on the half moon shaft and if shaft isn't flush with end of knob it can cause the self adjusting to not happen. 2000's suggestion is way more likely though since you tried two masters. Just trying to eliminate any flukes.

polyesterpig

#7 Post by polyesterpig »

Check the clutch adjustment bolt. Mine came loose once and acted similar to your experience.

polyesterpig

#8 Post by polyesterpig »

QUOTE (polyesterpig @ Nov 2 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check the clutch adjustment bolt. Mine came loose once and acted similar to your experience.

The bolt that is inside the clutch cover