Rusty ECU

Q&A about routine maintenance.
pcleiter

#1 Post by pcleiter »

So I pulled the ECU out of the tray and found the bottom of it has some rust on it. It doesn't appear to go through the metal, but in order to make sure it is sealed and to keep it from corroding, I'd like to put something on it. I was thinking about smearing a coating of GE Window & Door silicone on it. Any thoughts on this??? Should I keep it as thin as possible? Or should I glop it on? Would it possibly cause any heat issues? And should the thing be completely air tight??

2000ex

#2 Post by 2000ex »

I would not be concered the inside of the case and electronics are burried in some type of hardened epoxy

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes run it as is or just wire brush and paint it if you want.Inside it is totally sealed and would probably survive 100years on bottom of sea.Keep a eye on your relay though.They corrode and cause issues.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

Here are some pics of an ECU that was corroded by mouse piss -- It still works just fine! smile.gif

When remounting to the tray, I like to use a couple of washers underneath the mount tabholes to boost the harness end of the ECU up a little -- then you can easily extract the harness connectors for ECU swaps when troubleshooting.

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

someone had a cozy little home. Can't believe mean old Dave destroyed his home. Probably vacated an entire family too.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

laugh.gif Cats are good for something!

pcleiter

#7 Post by pcleiter »

Wow! Forget the ECU - that's quite a nest there!

I'll clean it up and hit it with paint just to seal the surface. Rather not have it continue to rust & drip crud when it gets wet.

The relay looks pretty good fortunately.

Thx all.

pcleiter

#8 Post by pcleiter »

Just out of curiosity - how was the nest discovered? Routine maintenance or dead quad? Wondering if the mouse family was taken out for a few thrill rides before they were found...

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

A customer brought that machine in for some upgrades, and to get it running again after winter storage. He was long gone when I pulled off the plastic, so I sent him those pictures.
The baby mice had also been teething on the harness wires! I also found some rather fresh droppings, so those rascals must have scooted away while he was loading his trailer.
Yep if you live in the burbs, get a cat. My cat hates meeces to peeces!