Whats a good battery?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
arcsum68

#1 Post by arcsum68 »

I am not going to spend $100+, but I am sick and tired of my Wally world crap constantly going out on me despite sitting on a tender whenever its parked.

See the Deka's on ebay going for $60-$70

There are some Yuasa's going for that price, but no mention of size which I find suspicious.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

Get the Deka! I bought one from Canniboomer a few months ago and it has been great so far. Its a strong battery. I recently found out that my battery tender isn't working. When I went to start my quad, it fired right up...even after sitting in the cold (below freezing) for about 3 weeks. The Yuasa never did that.

arcsum68

#3 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Feb 7 2011, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get the Deka! I bought one from Canniboomer a few months ago and it has been great so far. Its a strong battery. I recently found out that my battery tender isn't working. When I went to start my quad, it fired right up...even after sitting in the cold (below freezing) for about 3 weeks. The Yuasa never did that.

Good to hear, thanks. I think my Battery Tender Jr (name brand) is fine because the Wally World battery would read 12 volts until I hit the starter and then it would drop to 9-10 volts but I will check it out.

arcsum68

#4 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (arcsum68 @ Feb 7 2011, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to hear, thanks. I think my Battery Tender Jr (name brand) is fine because the Wally World battery would read 12 volts until I hit the starter and then it would drop to 9-10 volts but I will check it out.

Should I get the etx12 or 9, the Walmart brand was the 12 which required me to change the fuel regulator mount and double nut the battery clamp so it would not squeeze the battery too much.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

The Deka 9 is the exact same size as the stock battery.
Here's a link with more info:
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...=15258&st=0

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (arcsum68 @ Feb 7 2011, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm, not sure of the tender brands but, I have heard of some that I think actually over charge (cheapies from HF?) and leaving them on continuously can ruin a motorcycle battery. I had used mine for years before hearing that some (especially the automotive trickle chargers) may ruin a battery and I have had good battery life in all my Quads and Bikes. So, I figure I was lucky and got a good one.

I thought there was a thread on here that explained this and how much they should put out. A friend of mine had one that he claimed put out close to 5 amps and it said 1 amp on the charger.

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

Anything over 2 amps will just melt a battery our size. A true trickle type charger must first put out about .50 to 1 amp and second go into another mode (think maintain). If it does not go into this mode it will continue charging the battery until it boils it dry (at a slow rate). Then the best chargers will actually cycle the battery every so often when left on all of the time. Unfortunately, the availability in the small size charger we need is rare. If you a really an@!, I would just run them on the charger once a week until the light turns green. This way if the IC chip in the charger goes bad it won't fry the battery.

I am starting to be a big fan of the DEKA batteries. Low price and good quality. I think I actually drove by the plant somewhere when I was up at the Group Ride. The 9 series battery is all you need with proper maintence in the quads.

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

I just wish I could run to a local motorcycle shop or auto store to pick up the Deka.

jinx44

#9 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Feb 8 2011, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wish I could run to a local motorcycle shop or auto store to pick up the Deka.

+1. There is a big battery distributor close to me, and even they don't have them.

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

We looked up on line and found a auto parts place close by that carries them. He usually stocks the size but not always. Check automotive places, they may get a truck once a week.