Using Engine Flush?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
marshall100

#11 Post by marshall100 »

I've just taken delivery of some parts for the RM80 I'm doing up, and at the time of ordering I got a bottle of chain cleaner, which happens to be a bottle of 'Rock Oil Degreaser' A quick read of the guff on the back and it says it's a 'non-aqueous' product. The temptaion to buy another bottle and pour it into the frame and leave it to stand for a day or two is overwhelming.....

marshall100

#12 Post by marshall100 »

An update on this, I'm on a quest for non-foaming degreaser as the one I got foams up like a bar of soap in a microwave! while it has pulled through some interesting deposits, the slime I'm trying to get rid of is definately as a result of using the wrong stuff in the first place!

Should be an interesting quest on a Sunday in merry old England. mellow.gif

chigger81

#13 Post by chigger81 »

[attachment=11558:Photo_0036.jpg]

[attachment=11559:Photo_0032.jpg]

I pumped filtered kerosene through the frame three different ways for a couple hours while shaking vigorously. I got a ton of shavings out of it. They tended to pile up at the location I wasn't draining from, so I had to switch things around a lot. I finished by dumping two gallons through it while having all of the holes open. I don't know if its possible to get everything out. I'll let you know how it worked. FYI: probably easier to do this without the motor in the frame. wacko.gif

Kuma

#14 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (marshall100 @ Mar 6 2011, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An update on this, I'm on a quest for non-foaming degreaser as the one I got foams up like a bar of soap in a microwave! while it has pulled through some interesting deposits, the slime I'm trying to get rid of is definately as a result of using the wrong stuff in the first place!

Should be an interesting quest on a Sunday in merry old England. mellow.gif

Why would you put a bar of soap in a microwave?
I'll have to check that out on youtube laugh.gif

marshall100

#15 Post by marshall100 »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Jul 5 2011, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would you put a bar of soap in a microwave?
I'll have to check that out on youtube laugh.gif

I wholeheartedly recommend it.

In the end I used brake fluid. Thinned the oil out a treat, and pulled a load of crud through the frame.

I'm not sure if it's normal, but the frame does tend to attract alot of condensation, which finds it's way into the inside of the frame if parked up for long periods of time. I hasten to add that there are no indications at all of the crank going, seals going, or collant mixing with the oil. Is it normal? I've since ridden the bike in an enduro after an oil change and the white fug is gone. It's got to the point where a regular oil change and a good ride cure the issue.