Using Engine Flush?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Just wondered if anyone had ever put engine flush into the quad to clear out the frame?

Reason I ask is that on my road dale I suspect I've not got all the crud out of the bike that was in there when the engine started down a path of destruction. unsure.gif

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

Good question. I have a spare frame that I have been wanting clean up and wondered the same thing.

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

Maybe I'll have to be the test mule for this?

I was thinking of filling the frame up to the brim and then shaking it about a bit to mix up all the crud in it. I'm not really tempted to run it as it'll vomit oil through the airbox, and possibly damage the engine.

If you've got the frame out then Boomer said to me that it was worth pressure washing through, but obviously trying to get it dry and warm at this time of year is a bit tricky.....

unsure.gif

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

So boomer says to run water through it?

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

I think a great and simple method to doing this is to fill the frame full of kerosene.

Hook up a spare fuel pump to a battery that will pump fresh kerosene from one container through the frame and exit the dirty kerosene into another container. Heck, you could even put in a large glass filter inline (even with a magnet) and filter out the crud. Much easier and more efficient than a lot of the other methods I have heard.

marshall100

#6 Post by marshall100 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Feb 22 2011, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So boomer says to run water through it?

With a non foaming engine degreaser.

I did do mine, but badly. Hence the need to do it again. I like the idea of pumping something through it though. I was a bit keen to get the engine back in....

Mines due an oil change shortly so I'll think about how to do it nearer the time, I think that using a stupidly high quality oil helps, but I really want the frame flushed properly.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Feb 22 2011, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think a great and simple method to doing this is to fill the frame full of kerosene.

Hook up a spare fuel pump to a battery that will pump fresh kerosene from one container through the frame and exit the dirty kerosene into another container. Heck, you could even put in a large glass filter inline (even with a magnet) and filter out the crud. Much easier and more efficient than a lot of the other methods I have heard.

I believe I posted it, but I did something like this. First I used some gasoline and just shook it around to try and disolve anything that might be a little gooey, drained that. then hooked a high flow fuel pump up to the inlet and outlet on frame with a filter, filled the frame with kerosene. turned it on let it run for a couple hours. I also shook it a bit every 10-15 min.

I did get a few shavings and whatnot but I think it would be better with a higher flow pump

Cannondale must of had something to flush frame after they were built

pcleiter

#8 Post by pcleiter »

I haven't done anything like this, but anticipate needing to do it someday...

The idea of circulating something around in it sounds good. Way better than flush/fill/flush/fill, etc, etc. And shaking it while it circulates sounds even better. I'd add to that heating it up if possible to help break down any goop. Putting gasoline in also sounds good, although I prefer mineral spirits for this purpose myself. Surely there must be some sort of simple circulating filter system (maybe at Harbor Freight?) that could do this.

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I could ask my son if I can use the lift pump we just put on his dodge. 150 gph.
i think it would be a lot cheaper to try one of those pumps you hook up to a drill. I also thought about using mineral spirts but I had the kerosene. I would say I rattled it around on the floor more than shaking it. I had it close to full so it didn't feel like shaking was doing much. I tried to tip the frame like if you put a marble in the inlet aand tip it in the direction you would need to get it thought the frame and come out the outlet leaving it sit in each position for a few miniuts. You will need to plug the breathers for this.
I should also add I did tis with a bare frame. I think it would be hard to do with a assembled quad

speedracer

#10 Post by speedracer »

I cleaned my extra frame with MEK,let it soak overnight and pressure washed it.Seemed to work well.The MEK is alot hotter solvent than spirits.