Evans leaked out

Q&A about routine maintenance.
arcsum68

#1 Post by arcsum68 »

Not sure where, or when, but it's gone and I am supposed to take it out tomorrow.

Nobody locally carries it that I have been able to find, and I am not sure I want to dump $45 worth of coolant in it to then find the leak.

I have read that Sierra is compatible with it, can I just dumb a gallon of this in there and then deal with it later?

Any other suggestions for an interim solution?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

total capacity is less than a half gallon for the ATV, and even less for the dirtbike.
Full strength Sierra, or Prestone No-tox are compatible with the Evans NPG+, but I have no idea about the cooling properties of those without water.
But it's better than pumping dry,.... while you check out the cause of the problem.

arcsum68

#3 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ May 15 2011, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
total capacity is less than a half gallon for the ATV, and even less for the dirtbike.
Full strength Sierra, or Prestone No-tox are compatible with the Evans NPG+, but I have no idea about the cooling properties of those without water.
But it's better than pumping dry,.... while you check out the cause of the problem.

Went out last night after everything dried off from the washing and noticed a drop on the drain plug, I am guessing its leaking right from there. Not sure how much I have lost, nothing in the reservoir and I tried squeezing the tubes to see if anything would come up but it did not.

Odd that I would not have ever noticed any wetness, quad sits in the garage right where I see it every day.

Maybe I will just 50/50 mix the Sierra for the trip, figure out the leak, then flush with the Sierra and refill with Evans. That seems to be a popular method to flush the water out of the system anyway.

arcsum68

#4 Post by arcsum68 »

Ride got postponed to this weekend.

So, I drained what was in the radiator and came up with about 38 ounces and an o-ring in 2 pieces.

Not sure how much is stuck in the block, but if the system is less than 1/2 a gallon I need at most 26 ounces to fill it back up.

Thinking I may dump the Evans back in top it off with Sierra after replacing the o-ring and replacing it later.

cdsracer

#5 Post by cdsracer »

Hey Marcus,

You might be able to find some Zip-Ty Racing waterless coolant locally. I used to buy it at Off-Road Outlets in Rancho Cordova...there are probably other local shops that carry it. It is Evans coolant except in a half gallon container for $30.

-Chris

arcsum68

#6 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (cdsracer @ May 17 2011, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Marcus,

You might be able to find some Zip-Ty Racing waterless coolant locally. I used to buy it at Off-Road Outlets in Rancho Cordova...there are probably other local shops that carry it. It is Evans coolant except in a half gallon container for $30.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, I will see if anyone has it.

Tried most of the parts stores and a few "racing" places, nobody carries Evans or any other waterless coolant.

Dachshund

#7 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (arcsum68 @ May 17 2011, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Chris, I will see if anyone has it.

Tried most of the parts stores and a few "racing" places, nobody carries Evans or any other waterless coolant.

Have you looked at Evans site for dealers in your area? Most ship too. http://www.evanscooling.com/states-a-f/

arcsum68

#8 Post by arcsum68 »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ May 17 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you looked at Evans site for dealers in your area? Most ship too. http://www.evanscooling.com/states-a-f/

Yeah, nothing close enough with the time I have.