Fuel going bad in a two weeks!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Reeve

#1 Post by Reeve »

I don't know what is going on in my fuel system but it won't start after as little as two weeks of sitting. I change the fuel and it will fire right up. I only run 92 ethanol free fuel. The same fuel can sit in my snowmobile my other quad or just in a can and it will be fine but there is something killing it in my tank. When I drain it it comes out a darker yellowish color and smells bad. The smell is not too bad but you can tell it's not right. The tank has been out and is clean. All the lines and filter are new and it has a new fuel pump. Is there anything I can put through it that will take care of whatever is rotting my gas?

Thanks Reeve...

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

Stop peeing in your tank!!Just joking,I always use Seafoam in fuel.My fuel in the cdale tank is always a dark amber color,like a cold and yummy Sam Adams beer.I put Sta-bil in my tank once,the dale wouldnt start,changed the fuel,started right up.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Maybe the clear tank adds to fuel issues?Stabil isnt a bad idea either way.Might have just got a bad batch.Cant trust any other than race gas to be consistant.

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

I'm not saying its a common issue, but i have had trouble with sta-bil in our boat. I never had added anything to the fuel (plain old 93 octane) and it seems to last a long time. I have had fuel sitting for months and the cdale sips on it like a fine wine.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

Yeah In Ca. 2 weeks fuel starts to smell funny.Been this way for the last 3 or 4 years.

jinx44

#6 Post by jinx44 »

Anytime I have used Sta-bil, I have had issues. Seafoam does seem to work though.

New fuel sucks.

who_gives_a6

#7 Post by who_gives_a6 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jun 24 2011, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah In Ca. 2 weeks fuel starts to smell funny.Been this way for the last 3 or 4 years.

Completely agree there. I have a Honda bike and KTM quad that wont fire for nothing after even a few weeks, so it's not just a Dale issue here. CA gas is rediculously bad. I run 91 in my truck and it knocks. We made a trip to Arizona to buy a quad not too long ago and even 89 there had no knocks or issues.

Reeve

#8 Post by Reeve »

The clear tank is not the problem. The fuel came out of a clear can that was sitting next to the dale in the same conditions. That's the fuel that I put in the tank to get it to run after I drained the dale. I have heard of problems with stuff growing in the fuel but that was always on diesel trucks. This is also not a one time thing it has been pretty constant for the last year or more so it's not just a bad batch of fuel.

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

..just this morning, I fired up a Speed that had been sitting for 10 months with the same 1/4 tank of gas. I only charged the battery.
The credit goes to RedLine SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner. I add 1/2" (est 1 ounce) to every tank fill, and it's just amazing how long the fuel can last in this rainy NW!...the lawn mowers also like it. $9 per 15-oz. bottle here,...I have started getting it by the case, and I can toss it in with parts. The tech write-up is interesting, and I have to say that I'm a believer by now.