Looking where to buy a socket!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
promod

#1 Post by promod »

OK Group, Lost the only 8MM 12 POINT 1/4" DRIVE SHALLOW SOCKET i had for those stupid sized exhaust nuts!, Cant seems to locate one anywhere, can find all the 3/8" drive size i want (which i have), but any idea's on getting a 1/4" drive one? Anyone...Anyone....! huh.gif

Any help on direction to obtain one appreciated!, or if anyone on here has any for sale let me know! Ciao!

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

I got mine years back from a CarQuest in St.Louis.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

did you try using a 5/16?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Sears discount line. They don't have it in Craftsman, but I found it in the cheaper line they carry. I think it is "Evolve" now.

Haz-Matt

#5 Post by Haz-Matt »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Feb 24 2012, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What mxquad dad said. That's all I use and sear's has them along with most tool guys like snap on , mac etc.

spoolie25

#6 Post by spoolie25 »

QUOTE (Haz-Matt @ Feb 25 2012, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What mxquad dad said. That's all I use and sear's has them along with most tool guys like snap on , mac etc.

i was going to say my is craftsman

exotic rider

#7 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (spoolie25 @ Feb 26 2012, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i was going to say my is craftsman

I would suggest harbor freight,they have just about any size socket you could need.go to harbor freight.com I have bought welders through them and other tools have had no issues.good luck.

oldnbroken

#8 Post by oldnbroken »

I did a major search in town for this socket. I ended up buying it off the Snap-On truck. Spendy, but works great.

bigfoot17

#9 Post by bigfoot17 »

5/16's for sure.

promod

#10 Post by promod »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Feb 24 2012, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanx to all that answered this question on, and what to use as a replacement and the verdict was from the majority that 5/16" was the size to use! And Before i tell my little story about that, let me say "IT IS THE ONLY AND BEST SIZE TO USE" IMO! biggrin.gif

Ok, From just about the begining of my life of living and owning motorcycles, and most all Euro models which have always been metric like anthing in the rest of the world..although some strange metric sizes used on euro bikes dont compared to the standard metric sizes on Asian bikes, I have grown up with learning, understanding, talking and using the Metric system as part of my life in measurement and tools and always have and guess always will and always hoped the USA would oneday finally change over (although everyone i know hopes not for some reason!), and most all my tool collection (which im a tool freak as much as bike freak! laugh.gif ), is metric, i have just enough basic STD. sized inch tools to do things that require them and no more ohmy.gif !

So after several wasted hours of searching the web, sears (which Sears did discontinued!), auto stores, home improvment stores etc..frustrated but finally found the 8mm 12pt. 1/4" drive socket i was looking for from various other places ranging from $15-$45 with shipping for a no-name brand and about a week to get it!, well, im a want it now guy and needed it now!

But when MX QUAD DAD mentioned 5/16" i thought ok, 5/16" is 0.3125", 8mm is 0.3150", so in a 5/16" size we are only talking 0.0025" smaller!, so i thought ok lets pick up a surely easy to find cheap 5/16 12pt. 1/4" drive at some fast easy to get to big brand auto store, harbor freight etc..type places just to try it!, well could not find that size one anywhere either! sad.gif

Got a call from the wife Saturday who was at the mall, and i thought SEARS STANDARD SIZED SOCKET, surely Sears (at the mall) would surely have that, well to save me from going to the mall which i hate to do, but love going to sears to visit the tool department which is located at the mall but not in it, but you still have to go through all the traffic headache time and people to do it!, but still didnt want to go, so i asked her if she would stop buy there and see if they had one since she was right there, well after almost 30 min. of trying to explain to her on the phone and for her to write down what size i wanted for her to go get which was confusing her real bad!, so i said ok let me call them and i will call you back!, so called Sears and after about 10 min. of phone waiting Muzak, got the tool dept. guy, told him what i was looking for, he looked it up, said he had one!, so i asked can you please touch it, and hold on to it at the counter and put my name on it and my wife will pick up, so he said yes, hold on and i will get it if its there as he said when inventory in computer in only shows one it might be wrong..so i started losing confidence again!

Well, After another 15 min. of phone Muzak he said ITS IN MY HAND!, So always thinking ahead..i said are you sure its it?! Yes, he said!, its a 5/16" 12-point 1/4" drive standard depth socket, I said thats it, hold it for me..my wifes on the way!, He said great, took my name, told me his name is Steve and just have her ask for him, i said ok she will be there in 15 min., great done deal there, hung up! called wife, said just go to Sears go to tool department, ask for Steve, my names on the tool at the counter, gotcha covered, She said fine its the last place im going now, right by it and i will be home in less than 20 min., i said ok!!!!

Well after about a little over a HOUR & HALF!, with bag in hand she storms into the shop, flings it at me! and said "NEXT TIME YOUR GOING YOURSELF", REMEMBER, ME ASKING YOU ABOUT A WEEK AGO TO GO AND PICK UP SOMETHING FOR DINNER AND YOU WOULDNT BECAUSE YOU WERE WATCHING "PLANET OF THE APES" WHICH YOU HAD RECORDED AND COULD HAVE FINISHED WATCHING IT WHEN YOU GOT BACK AND YOU HAVE SEEN IT A TRILLION TIMES, BUT YOU DIDNT GO FOR ME!, And i sweety asked, Whats wrong Honey?, And she replied "STEVE WAS ON LUNCH BREAK AND I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL HE RETURNED, BECAUSE IT WASNT AT THE COUNTER AND NO ONE ELSE KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT IT" and then when he returned "HE FORGOT WHERE HE PUT IT! AND HAD TO RE-LOCATE IT AND FINALLY FOUND IT LAYING ON A SHELF WHERE HE LEFT IT AFTER HELPING SOMEONE ELSE! She then un-happily stormed in the house!, so knowing better than try to go calm her down now, since been with her for over 25 plus years and still learning everyday from it! i calmly opened the bag, removed socket, confirmed size was what i wanted, tried it...AND IT WORKED PERFECT! biggrin.gif

Well, There is no moral to this story! except for one thing!

For $2.49 plus your local state tax of course and less any Craftsman club discount program you belong to! wink.gif , at i guess almost any Sears Store you can get a CRAFTSMAN 5/16", 12-POINT, 1/4" STANDARD DRIVE SOCKET , PART NUMBER #45808 and due to its smaller size is better in fit and gripping power than the 8mm 12-point size!, as one good thing about a good tighter fit as we all have learned, if you strip or spin that socket once, sometimes its over with!, But, Anyway!...I GOT THE RIGHT & MOST PERFECT SIZED SOCKET for the job! cool.gif!

Please note: I was on my own for dinner the past two nights, but today looks better so far! rolleyes.gif