Ballistic Batteries

Q&A about routine maintenance.
speedfreek

#21 Post by speedfreek »

Well guys, I took the plunge and bought a Ballistic 8 cell battery. Looking at the size and weight of this thing, I think I can squeeze it next to the fuel regulator in the air filter tray. My question is where to get the extended battery cables to make this work? I know there's a couple guys here that have done this, just can't remember who. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wistech

#22 Post by wistech »

Cables and ends can be had at your local auto parts store.
I was thinking of this battery. http://www.a123rc.com/goods-132-A123RC+Mot...V69AH-4S3P.html
One major reason is because they are the same A123 cells I use in my rc cars and they deliver incredible amps . Over a hundred burst amps per cell. In parallel thats over 300 amps for the 12 cell pack. A stock dale engine only draws 75 to 85 amps while cranking unless its cold out. The stock battery is a 125 amp battery which usually fade to below 100 amps after a few months. Thats if you can find one that works out of the box.

speedfreek

#23 Post by speedfreek »

Thanks John, Hopefully this will be the cure for my constant battery problems. It seems that I had to hold the start button down too long to get this fired up. I know it's tuned right because Timbo did it on a dyno. Hopefully the new battery will spin the motor over faster and light her up quicker.

ScramblerXLE

#24 Post by ScramblerXLE »

I just put one of these on my KTM: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/...gravity+12+cell Got me off the line really well yesterday. 360 cranking amps, and it checked at 13.75 volts after not running it for a few days.

MX Quad Dad

#25 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (speedfreek @ Apr 21 2013, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks John, Hopefully this will be the cure for my constant battery problems. It seems that I had to hold the start button down too long to get this fired up. I know it's tuned right because Timbo did it on a dyno. Hopefully the new battery will spin the motor over faster and light her up quicker.

I think the dales don't do well with long crank time. if it doesn't start right away I back off and hit the starter again. I am not sure but it seems to me if the cranking voltage drops to far the ECU seems to shut down so if you start cranking on the compression stroke you may even drop a good battery's voltage enough to shut the ECU down. like I said this is just my asumption.

with these small batteries ( http://www.a123rc.com/goods-130-Free+Shipp...V23AH-4S1P.html ) on the link that wisetech posted I may try what I had posted a long time ago. I was planning on two batteries one to crank and one for the ecu with a diode to stop the starter from drawing from the ecu's battery or even a normaly closed relay wired to open when cranking

wistech

#26 Post by wistech »

Don't buy Ballastic batteries. The cells are not the a123 but are cheap Chinese knockoffs. Total garbage.

speedfreek

#27 Post by speedfreek »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 8 2015, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't buy Ballastic batteries. The cells are not the a123 but are cheap Chinese knockoffs. Total garbage.

I gave them a try and John is right. In fact my battery is the one John found this out from. Sometimes you take a chance and it works out, unfortnately that was a $150.00 mistake. Oh well.

kdeal

#28 Post by kdeal »

The Shorai batteries seem to be the only ones holding up so far.

exotic rider

#29 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Nov 9 2015, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Shorai batteries seem to be the only ones holding up so far.

I installed 2 ballistic batteries- one burned a hole through it, the other wouldn't recharge/hold charge so I agree they are no good.