Ballistic Batteries

Q&A about routine maintenance.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Needing a new bike battery for a build and one old quad battery is dead and came across these. Anyone use them before? Decently priced for the size, power, and weight.

The equivalent bike battery is a 4 cell with 135 CCA under 1lb and quad equivalent is an 8 cell with 275 CCA under 1.5lb. Both of which are way smaller than stock size and the 8 cell will even fit in the bike for an upgrade. They also offer a roughly 2.5lb 12 cell model with 410 CCA that is still about the same size as stock.

I've had issues with cheap batteries and even Deka and YUASA, and these have a 3yr free replacement so sound worth a try. I use battery tenders but even the Deka didn't make it more than 12-14 months. Just curious as I haven't seen much info on these and not sure if I want to throw out the cash yet on them.

Prices are estimates from Ebay shipped.
4 cell - $95
8 cell - $140
12 cell - $170

www.ballisticparts.com

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Considering the CCA's of the stock 9 series battery and even the upgraded 12 series, it appears the 8 cell will be more than sufficient. The 12 cell would be overkill, or would it? Haha. Does anyone think any issues would arise from over 400 CCA? I'm always up for more power on cold starts.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Id go with the 8 cell. It will be my next battery .

haulinit

#4 Post by haulinit »

I'm thinking about suggesting the 12 cell for a buddy with a built raptor motor. He is currently using one of our Dekas but you get about 3 shots at starting it then forget about it. When this Deka takes a dump I will probably get one of these.

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

There has been a big thread about these batteries on another ATV site I visit.On a Can-Am ds 450 the 4-cell would barely crank the engine.I would go with a 8-cell.Only draw-back is the cannot be charged by your regular trickle charger,you would need to buy one designed to be used with the lith.battery.But,they only supposed to lose 3% charge a year with-out use.

bigfoot17

#6 Post by bigfoot17 »

Their web site says that you can charge them with any charger. You can even trickle charge , but they claim that they don't need it.

bigfoot17

#7 Post by bigfoot17 »

Has anyone done a lithium battery yet? I read a test about another brand, but I am not yet sold.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/

m_mcgranahan

#8 Post by m_mcgranahan »

I am using a Evs Balistic 8 cell on my dale and it works pretty till it gets to 40 ambient temp, then it really struggles to start the motor. I have to jump start it to get it going. Once it is good and warmed up it will refire it.

God bless...
Mark

haulinit

#9 Post by haulinit »

Mark, seen this today...I was thinking about a ballistic's battery cause my little over one yr old Deka took a dump.

Ballistics battery cold start video

Ps my motor fired last night... ohmy.gif

m_mcgranahan

#10 Post by m_mcgranahan »

That is so cool. Your first Dale motor build a success! Man that video was a big help. Didn't realize I had to wait for the battery to recover before I cranked it again...