Need help with oil change

Q&A about routine maintenance.
loboracer

#11 Post by loboracer »

Well I did initially drain the tranny, the big bolt under the sprocket. No screen came out. All I see is what appears to be a metal tube in there.
I just now unscrewed the bolt in front of the tranny which should be for the motor. Got a fair amount of oil out, now I am going after the left frame spar. I found the fitting you guys were talking about. Thanks. Should I pull the cover that the oil drain plug screws into?

MX Quad Dad

#12 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I would say no for pulling the cover with the crankcase drain plug.

that tube you see in the trany drain plug hole is the screen. should just pull out and be cleaned, it can be quite tricky to get it back in. do not force the drain plug in

loboracer

#13 Post by loboracer »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ May 11 2012, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say no for pulling the cover with the crankcase drain plug.

that tube you see in the trany drain plug hole is the screen. should just pull out and be cleaned, it can be quite tricky to get it back in. do not force the drain plug in

Ok, I pulled the screen out. It has little pieces of metal on the outside. This can't be great news. I opened up the left spar and got next to nothing out. I drained everything else first but that was a surprise. Think the metal might tell us why it has been puking?

speedracer

#14 Post by speedracer »

The three gears are for the scavenge pump.My black plastic middle gear was broken in half,not allowing the pump to work,thus puking oil at revs.I am by far an expert at engines,I can just tell you what happened to me over the years.I think I remember reading of chunks of metal jambed in the pump gears also causing the pump to stop working.

speedracer

#15 Post by speedracer »

Nice ATK by the way.

UpsMan

#16 Post by UpsMan »

You really need an owners manual. If I can find mine, I'll send it to you. It is not that hard when you have instructions. I wouldn't do anything else until I had an owners manual so I knew what was what. Then do a correct oil change with the correct amount of oil. If it still pukes then, maybe you have other issues.

loboracer

#17 Post by loboracer »

Speed, your right! my middle gear is totally broke. I can't see the other 2 but I might have problems with those also. Now I guess I need to pull that whole side cover. I wonder if I should start a new thread?

speedracer

#18 Post by speedracer »

I dont know why Cannondale used a plastic gear,you can buy a set of metal gears.I was told a chunck of metal got jammed in my gear and broke it.