Need help with oil change

Q&A about routine maintenance.
loboracer

#1 Post by loboracer »

Ok, I searched the site for an answer and found a bad link. So here is the deal. Its my first oil change on my 2006 ATK vr450 QUAD/ Dale that I just bought, it has been puking oil at the air filter. It has the vent hose update. According to the stick it was not overfull. I drained the oil from the oil plug at the right side rear of the motor behind the brake pedal. Not alot came out and it was black and fugly. I had the quad tilted to the right side. I also drained the right frame spar from the "giant grease fitting looking thing" . I put a clear hose on it, open it up and let her drain. All of this was done with the stick unscrewed. Not alot came out. I have not measured it yet.

Question,
How do I get the rest of the motor oil drained? Be specific, Pics would be nice.
It looks like the left frame and the lower right frame needs drained too but how do I drain it?
Is the scavenge pump on the right side with a hose going to it and 3 bolts? pic?
I am needing to get the oil out of my lines and check that stupid pump wherever it is.
I dont have a new oil filter but would like to get the oil out of the motor there too. Info please?
Just need a complete motor drain!

Thanks for your help guys! Email links too! gnccquadracer@hotmail.com

BlackToothGrin

#2 Post by BlackToothGrin »

QUOTE (loboracer @ May 9 2012, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I searched the site for an answer and found a bad link. So here is the deal. Its my first oil change on my 2006 ATK vr450 that I just bought, it has been puking oil at the filter. It has the vent hose update. According to the stick it was not overfull. I drained the oil from the oil plug at the right side rear of the motor behind the brake pedal. Not alot came out and it was black and fugly. I had the quad tilted to the right side. I also drained the right frame spar from the "giant grease fitting looking thing" . I put a clear hose on it, open it up and let her drain. All of this was done with the stick unscrewed. Not alot came out. I have not measured it yet.

Question,
How do I get the rest of the motor oil drained? Be specific, Pics would be nice.
It looks like the left frame and the lower right frame needs drained too.
It the scavage pump on the right side with a hose going to it and 3 bolts? pic?
I am needing to get the oil out of my lines and check that stupid pump wherever it is.
I dont have an oil filter but would like to get the oil out of that area too. Info please?

Thanks for your help guys! Email links too! gnccquadracer@hotmail.com

I don't know anything about the atk bikes but the cannondales take 1.5 quarts.

Your saying the oil is leaking out past the oil filter COVER? There should be 2 o-rings on the inside of the cover. 1 on the outer edge and 1 in the center around the bolt. That might be your problem.

Yes, both frame spars need to be drained. If you want to get all the old oil out you could always just fill with fresh oil, run it and drain it. Keep doing that until the oil comes out looking the same as it went in.

loboracer

#3 Post by loboracer »

QUOTE (BlackToothGrin @ May 9 2012, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know anything about the atk bikes but the cannondales take 1.5 quarts.

Your saying the oil is leaking out past the oil filter COVER? There should be 2 o-rings on the inside of the cover. 1 on the outer edge and 1 in the center around the bolt. That might be your problem.

Yes, both frame spars need to be drained. If you want to get all the old oil out you could always just fill with fresh oil, run it and drain it. Keep doing that until the oil comes out looking the same as it went in.

I forgot to say this is the quad, oil is coming out of the vent line that shoots out at the air filter. Can't find a place to drain the left spar yet. It isnt leaking at the oil filter. I edited my original posting...

Kuma

#4 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (loboracer @ May 9 2012, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I forgot to say this is the quad, oil is coming out of the vent line that shoots out at the air filter. Can't find a place to drain the left spar yet. It isnt leaking at the oil filter. I edited my original posting...

Left spar will be where most of the oil should be, another of the grease fitting type plugs down near the swingarm pivot bolt.

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Ther are I believe three hoses on the inside of the right spar. I found when mine puked oil out the breather that this little chamber had some oil in it. I just pulled off the bottom hose and let it drain.

speedracer

#6 Post by speedracer »

I had an 02 speed that was puking oil.I had to drain the tranny fluid(big bolt near rear brake pedal)becareful as when you remove the tranny drain bolt there should be a long metal filter/screen behind the bolt.After its drained you can remove the clutchcover(shifterside)you will look inside to the left and see three gears,maybe metal or plastic,see if one of the gears is broken.On mine the middle (plastic)gear was broken in half.Your oil level could be low cause a bunch got puked-out.If you need pics of stuff,make a list,I can snap some for you and e-mail them since I cant get pics to post here anymore.

loboracer

#7 Post by loboracer »

QUOTE (speedracer @ May 11 2012, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had an 02 speed that was puking oil.I had to drain the tranny fluid(big bolt near rear brake pedal)becareful as when you remove the tranny drain bolt there should be a long metal filter/screen behind the bolt.After its drained you can remove the clutchcover(shifterside)you will look inside to the left and see three gears,maybe metal or plastic,see if one of the gears is broken.On mine the middle (plastic)gear was broken in half.Your oil level could be low cause a bunch got puked-out.If you need pics of stuff,make a list,I can snap some for you and e-mail them since I cant get pics to post here anymore.

Speed,
I pulled that "bolt" near the brake pedal. I thought that drained the motor not the tranny! If that is tranny oil I really have an issue because I am not hardly getting anything out and she is puking. The "bolt" is machined from the inside. I can see a tube looking piece inside the motor but nothing came out but oil. I don't see a screen.
These 3 gears you speak of what do they do? Did your broken one cause oil vomiting?
1.What is the part that is on the right side with a hose connected to it, 3 bolts holding the cover on and has the starter connected to it on the back side? When I take this cover off it looks like a mini set of clutch plates with a circlip in the middle. I also see a large gear behind it?
2. I did not see a drain on the left frame spar at the bottom but I will look again, is it on the inside down by the swingarm?
3. I have 2 hoses going to the lower right frame spar, I pulled them and drained the oil as well as the fitting up top. Does that sound right?
4. Which hose fitting goes to the T connection (with update) on the right frame spar? There is an upper inside fitting and a lower.
5. Where in the world is the scavenge pump and do you think that is my prob? I wanna get her diagnosed and fixed...

Send pics to gnccquadracer@hotmail.com or Lee@racingquads.com

I can send you pics if you need I have her tore down.

thanks

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

The trany drain is below the drive sprocket. I am taking it you did pull the engine drain plug (A smaller threadded size than the trany drain, in a cover with a hose and the cover is held on by four bolts. (could be just a plug, a magnetic plug or a bolt thru a banjo fitting). I would say if you just got a little oil from the engine crankcase, those gears that drive your scavanger pump are probably OK. but, it doesn't hurt to check.

The left spar drain can be seen and drained from outside the frame. it is the same bleeder looking fitting as the right side and is located just above the swingarm pivot bolt.

If you download the owners manual (Go to Home page here and click on Technical & Custom Maps) and on page 86 it shows a pic of that drain location. page 87 shows the engine drain but, the banjo type was the original design and a lot have had the update to just have a plug there.

Page 89 &90 shows a engine oil screen that should also be checked. I think most people don't check it every time they change the oil. I try to check mine every other oil change.

Trans drain pic is on page 93

haulinit

#9 Post by haulinit »

Lobo, If you pulled the Tranny plug thinking it was the engine drain any chance you over filled the engine due to not draining the crankcases? Also the cover with the three bolts and the mini clutches is the starter clutch.

loboracer

#10 Post by loboracer »

QUOTE (haulinit @ May 11 2012, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lobo, If you pulled the Tranny plug thinking it was the engine drain any chance you over filled the engine due to not draining the crankcases? Also the cover with the three bolts and the mini clutches is the starter clutch.

You just answered the "what the heck is that part" question....mini clutches!

I will try to download that stuff today and see if I can see where I am at here, if not I will post some pics.
I have not added oil since I just got it but the previous owner, who knows...