Rear Axle Bearing Carrier Rebuild Question

Q&A about routine maintenance.
marceb16

#1 Post by marceb16 »

I started to overhaul my rear axle bearing carrier a little while back (i.e. I took everything apart a little while ago like an idiot) ??? now I???m trying to remember the proper order for reassembly. I know where the tube spacer goes, that two bearing go together on each side and the seals go on the outer sides ??? thing is I can???t remember where the thin washers go (I have two leftover)? My gut is telling me in-between the outer bearings and the seals but my memory is drawling a blank.

The book shows two ???axle preload nut washers??? (P/N 6000461) laying on a table in between the bearings and seals on Page 20 ??? then another (just one) of the same washer part numbers on Page 21 as part of the axle assembly. But, when I removed my axle there were two washers behind the ???rear bearing preload screw (P/N 6000137). So now I???m totally confused.

Anyone have order of assembly photos showing how to re-assembly a bearing carrier the right way?

Anyone have order of assembly photos showing the proper way to install a rear axle?

ry415

#2 Post by ry415 »

having extra parts after a project sux...ive been there...sorry this wasn't a helpful answer

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

well, yes there should be a thrust washer 6000461 between each outer bearing and seal....OOPS
For at the axle-nut to rotor hub, another 6000641 is used there, or a second conical-shaped one can be added there, as was done for the Moto.
I would check that your 4 pieces are identical. One might be a cone spring.

marshall100

#4 Post by marshall100 »

Is there a write up for this anywhere? I've not been able to find it.