Complete service wanted on a 450E

Q&A about routine maintenance.
cowtrailer

#1 Post by cowtrailer »

Anybody in the southern Oregon/far Nor Cal area that can perform service on a 2004 450E? The bike starts and won't stay running: could be choke sensor, injector, throttle cal (?), etc. I've had the bike for quite a while (2000+ miles), it's never had any fuel injection service at all, so it's probably time to do it. Happy to pay a fair price to a knowledgable guy who has the right equipment and know-how to go thru the bike. I'm in Ashland, OR, and am willing to bring the bike to somewhere not too far away......anybody out there that could do this?
Thanks ATK/Cdalers!
Cowtrailer
(707) 338-0650

cdsracer

#2 Post by cdsracer »

I'd be happy to take a look at it and get it fixed up for you but I'm over in Nampa, Idaho. About an 8 or 9 hour drive for you. If you decide to head this way, let me know.

-Chris

cowtrailer

#3 Post by cowtrailer »

Thanks a lot, CDSRacer! Hoping for somebody a little closer........anybody?

Cowtrailer

yamadjs08

#4 Post by yamadjs08 »

Won't stay running even holding the throttle? Or it just won't idle on its own?

cowtrailer

#5 Post by cowtrailer »

When cold, I've always had to let it idle for a minute or two before I blip the throttle, otherwise it would die instantly. Now, it won't stay running once I release the starter... It will fire a couple of times, but not "catch" and stay running. It's got fresh, ethanol-free 92 octane gas, fresh plug, fully charged battery, so.....? I may try jacking up the idle speed a little more, but it used to be OK.

Because I've probably got 2000+ miles on the bike, and have never really had the injection worked on (throttle calibration, etc.) I figured it would be a good idea if I had it gone thru and checked out. I've talked w/Canniboomer (I've got a bunch of his upgrades on the bike) - he's been really busy moving down to Arizona, so I'd thought thru this website I might be able to find another knowledgeable dude who could assist.....

Cheers-
Cowtrailer

yamadjs08

#6 Post by yamadjs08 »

Has it been sitting for quite a while? Kind of sounds like a stuck injector.
If you can, pull the air box and throttle body off, then you will be able to see the injectors. While cranking they should both be spraying.

Regardless of it needing a throttle re-calibration, that shouldn't keep it from running. It might just start harder.

yamadjs08

#7 Post by yamadjs08 »

Also, stupid question, but you have changed the fuel filter right? It would have to be plugged up pretty bad to keep it from running at all, but 2000 miles on an original fuel filter might do it.

cowtrailer

#8 Post by cowtrailer »

Thanks for the tips, yamadjs08. Yep, it's got a fresh filter.....
This is kinda why I'm trying to find a semi-local (say, Portland to Sacramento) expert to go thru the whole thing....

cowtrailer

#9 Post by cowtrailer »

Anybody out here on the left coast that could do this?
Thanks
Cowtrailer

polyesterpig

#10 Post by polyesterpig »

If this is an ATK, I don't know if the standard Cannondale d&m kit will work with it.