Fouled Plug Question

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Z4J

#1 Post by Z4J »

I've been firing the Dale up to temp. every few weeks as I haven't had time to ride. Today it wouldn't fire. Changed the plug (which is a quick & grand time) and it cranked right over. Question on the Dales....foul or quick to dirty plug very common? Now this plug was three years old, but with maybe 10 hours on it. Maybe idling isn't a great idea as it's collecting? Any thoughts? Thank you. ps. Using all of Boomer latest so my fuel balance should be solid.

SlOoT

#2 Post by SlOoT »

In the past I had some problems with fouled plugs. But ever since I started using Iridium plugs I have never had a fouled plug in any quad.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I dont recomend starting up the machine unless your going to drive it. It takes a full warm up cycle and some time under load to burn the plugs clean . Starting it up and letting it warm up for a few minutes just carbon fouls the plugsworse and worse till they stop working. Also the machine runs rich and gas is washing down the cyllinders which takes much longer to evap out the vent. I fouled a plug back in 03 when I was doing cold starts to show people the quad . It still had the #9 plugs from the factory . We have been running the hotter NGK #8's from then on . Most other plug brands are hotter the higher the number .

Z4J

#4 Post by Z4J »

Great input. Thank you both.