Oil Changes

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Cannibal440

Oil Changes

#1 Post by Cannibal440 »

When changing the oil loosen or remove the oil fill dip stick. I didnt do it the first time I changed my oil and it takes forever for all of the oil to come out of the frame spars. This may already be common knowledge and it is sort of common sense, but maybe this will help.

Cannibal440

#2 Post by Cannibal440 »

Warm oil for sure! I kinda thought that was a given. I actually lift the left side when draining the tranny fluid cause it doesn't all come out if I don't same goes for the engine oil fitting on that side. Just when you think its all out lift the left side about 8-12 inches and you'll be suprised how much more comes out. The side benefit of doing this is that if youlift the bike before opening the tranny drain or the oil drain next to it the oil won't collect on the plate under the motor (between the frame rails)

Cannibal440

#3 Post by Cannibal440 »

check out the cannondale web site. there is a bulletin on this very topic. It se best to put the filter part of the way in the housing, position the threaded plug behind it back the filter into the recess in the plug and then hand tighten the plug untill the washer contacts the sealing surface. Done this way there shouldnt be any mis-alignment of the filter.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I have had the filter fall into the motor twice.First time took me a good hour fishing to get it out.I am sure that it is falling in when I am removing the plug now when removing I always tilt quad on its right side I wish there was a wire guide to slip filter over to prevent this it doesnt happen that often but when it does it sure is frustrating.