first service.....oh my!!!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
cdale127

first service.....oh my!!!

#1 Post by cdale127 »

ok i just finished draining all the fluids. everything was cool except for the screen located at the back of the case. was a b!tch to get too. other then that ....not as bad as i thought but not as easy as my 400ex was....lol

i geuss all in all i can do it next time in about 30 mins. was a lot of metal on the crank case screen...but i was told to expect this. oh yeah...cant wait to ride now....i can finally let her rip!!!!biggrin.gif

Ryanstones

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

My understanding is that the Metal screens clean as well or better than the paper. I have the metal, but tried a paper to see if the oil stayed any cleaner.
I could see no difference, except in my wallet. smile.gif

First couple changes it is normal to find shavings. Especially in the tranny filter. You left out a word... 'but the new...' ???

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

Just did my break-in oil change and the rear filter was interesting to say the least

I had to read the directions about 10 times to make sure I was doing it right cause I couldnt believe what a pain in the a$$ it was to get to. I finally had to take a box wrench and grind an end off so it would fit inside the frame spar.

I think it was over torqued, I lifted the right rear wheel off the ground before the bolt came loose!

Tranny screen was fouled, everything else looked pretty good.

Knight440

#4 Post by Knight440 »

To get at that filter in the back of the eng with out pulling half the quad apart like the book says my dealer showed me a trick to getting it out use a long 3/8 ext and a deep socket I did use a swivel (sp) ext witch helped a bit I am sure getting around the shock. This worked mint for me hope this helps. like anything it just takes a little getting use to........ wink.gif

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

Knight, I did that as well. Socket to a STIFF universal joint, to every extention I could find, about 24 inches worth. My ratchet was right above the rear disc. Bonzer!

Marc

LapTraffic

#6 Post by LapTraffic »

Yeah a deep socket with knuckle and serious extension is definately the ticket for that plug.

Thanks for posting that smile.gif