I'm new to ATVing--Daily Checks?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
daericks

I'm new to ATVing--Daily Checks?

#1 Post by daericks »

I just acquired two new stock Cannibals. Haydug has helped me with a few thing but I wondering what needed to be checked on a regular basis. Do I need to check oil each time I ride? This will likely sound like a dumb question to most of you but the most mechanical thing I have done doesn't go much further than a lawnmower. I don't want to ruin my new investments.

Dan

EuroGOD

#2 Post by EuroGOD »

:clap: Congratulations and welcome to the family :usa

You're going to learn quite a lot over the next few weeks so take note and don't be afraid to ask questions....no matter how trivial they may be.

If you have been following the forums for some time, you will have seen the word "updates" used ever so frequently. These are some modifications and fixes that will help you to stop problems before they get the chance to appear.
Take a look around the site, a list of the factory updates can be found in the Dale Tech section above.

As for pre ride checks, these quads can vibrate bolts loose. I usually do a post-ride tighten/inspect after washing.
It is also good to check electrical connections and keep an eye for cables rubbing against the frame.

When starting the quad, DO NOT give it gas! This will flood the engine and you'll spend the next hour or so changing the plug...
Let the quad idle for a good minute or so. Don't worry here, the idle is supposed to be that high and the engine sounds like it has rocks in it!
Reach down and feel both radiator hoses. When they're both warm and soft then you know you're good to go.

If you pulled the quads from the crate, take a look under the seat....There's a free gift under there for you
smile.gif

Enjoy your flight!

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

going from a lawn mower to a dale is like going from a VW RABBIT DIESEL to a corvette. spend days reading everything you see on here. read the owners manual. when i first got mine i thought i was a pretty good wrench, but i couldn't figure out how to change the oil. thank goodness i found the owners manuel after i figured out how to remove the seat. i read everything on here and now i know how to wash my air filter also! goodluck and stay in touch! this is without a doubt the best site on the net.

thunderwolf

#4 Post by thunderwolf »

Check the bolts that hold the rear sprocket on. Check the bolts that bolt the A-arms to the frame. Check the bolts that secure the steering stem down. I have had all of these come loose. Enjoy you new ride.:head:

thunderwolf

#5 Post by thunderwolf »

Oh yeah, make sure you grease all of the zerks for the front steering and suspension.

daericks

what's a zerK? Tools to do the work!

#6 Post by daericks »

My guess is that greasing them requires some type of tool? Which brings me to another question... What tools do I need to complete the general maintanece stuff? I don't have many tools so I figure I'd put together a toolbox specifically for the quads. So far I have:

Basic screwdriver set
socket set, in metric
wrenches in metric?
Long screwdriver (really long--don't recall what for but remember reading that I needed one for something)
Allen wrenches, in metric
hammer
something about a goofy 12 star 8 star wrench of some sort?torque wrench?
loctite (red version)

Supplies:
Redline brand Synthetic Oil
Redline Lightweight Shockproof for the tranny
Antifreeze - the good stuff, Engine Ice
NGK Iridium tip plugs
Battery Charger with an auto-stop charging feature

What did I miss? I want to make ONE trip to the store if I can so I'm working on getting this shopping list. I am aware that I won't be able to get all of this stuff from one place. Thanks!

Dan

EuroGOD

#7 Post by EuroGOD »

Sounds like you're getting serious with the tooling...
For general maintenance, you don't need a complete workshop, just a few of the essentials.
I like to keep:
1 10mm t-handle
1 6mm t-handle
1 4mm hex t-handle (prefferably with 1 balled end)
1 side cutters
1 pliers blunt
1 pliers needle nose
1 10mm wrench
1 12mm wrench
1 14mm wrench
1 box of heineken
A bag of 12" zip ties
A grease gun
A voltage tester
Spare fuses
Extendable magnet thingy...same size as a ball point pen, handy when you loose your nuts.
A quality set of gloves to work in and save you from skinned knuckles. I choose mechanix.

Of course, if you are planning to do a little more maintenance around the house, you should buy complete socket and screwdriver sets.

cdrookie

#8 Post by cdrookie »

you will need a 6 point 12mm box end wrench for removal of the tranny plug( it is 12mm right?) and some anti sieze for when you put it back in. they are aluminum and easy to round off but extremely hard to get out. the filter on the back of the engine under the exhaust is also difficult to get off. i took wrench and cut it in half cause it's a tight fit. you could bend one or get a stubby. i think it was 14mm/ 9/16 but don't quote me. the long screwdriver will come in handy if you ever need to remove the lower half of the airbox from the throttle body.

daericks

what else?

#9 Post by daericks »

Alright, outside of the general maintenence, what other tools does a guy need. I basically have a power screwdriver, cheapo socket set, a couple of screwdrivers, and a drill. Don't hold anything back (and don't joke around too much, I don't want to be at Sears looking for muffler bearings!) I just don't want to be working on this **** thing and not have the special tool I should have gotten. My best friend works at Sears so I will get a good discount on this stuff. Thanks!

Ryanstones

No way Daericks!

#10 Post by Ryanstones »

Youre gonna need at least 2 dozen trips to the tool store to realize all the stuff you still need!
:confused:

15 and 17 mm wrenches/sockets are common. And i think the Tranny plug is a 14 eh guys?

Spare plugs/fuel filters for sure and some star/lock washers for the battery and ground bolts.

What possessed you to buy TWO cannon's?

:welcome: