Engine Hour Meter Installed

Q&A about routine maintenance.
LapTraffic

Engine Hour Meter Installed

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

Got my Engine hour meter installed and working. Im sure there are many many ways to do this project, this is the way I came up with and I think you'll agree that it is pretty darn easy.

I went with a John Deere hour meter for a lawn tractor for no other reason than that it was something they had in staock. Cost was a bit pricey at 58 bucks for the kit, Im sure if you shopped around you could get something for under 20 bucks. I believe the wiring Im about to show you will be the same regardless of kit used.

Total time to do this is under an hour and is pretty low on the difficulty scale

Heres a pic of the kit, I also reccomend getting an el cheapo fluke meter at Radio Shack, I think I paid 9 bucks for this one and it has saved my *** too many times to count... It's the electrons you cants see that get you smile.gif

LapTraffic

#2 Post by LapTraffic »

Strip the body plastic, it makes things easier and remove the radiator shrouds.

Remove the 20A fuse

At the top of the radiator is a zip tied bundle of wire. Carefully snip the zip tie and separate the wires. Locate the lavender wire.

The wires at this point are connected into single black plugs. Pull the lavender wire out of its plug.

This lavender wire is the wire that is energized when the key is turned on.

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

Now insert the end of a 4' length of multi strand type wire, I think I used 18ga from radio shack.

Insert the trimmed edge into the female pluge receptacle along with the lavender wire plug and press firmly together. This allows you to make the electrical connection without cutting into your wiring harness.

Next put a couple of zip ties to secure the new wire to the lavender ignition wire.

As a final step I added a dab of silcon sealant to the edge of the plug to make it water tight

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

Rebundle the wiring harness and zip tie in place above the radiator in its original location

Route the 4' wire lead to the back of the frame. Stay inside the frame components and pay attention to areas that might abrade the wire. Stay away from the exhaust. Secure the wire along the way with zip ties.

The hour meter is placed under the seat. A razor utility knife works very well to cut the hole. Trace the bottom of the meter on the plastic body piece and then carefully cut the plastic away. You will have to do some trimming to get it fit perfectly.

Insert the meter and slide the locking mechanism that comes with it on the meter itself to secure it to the body (pretty slick, no screws or aother hardware.)

This picture shows the meter installed from the bottom view

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

The black wire included in the kit is attached to the cross strap frame piece under the seat, the bolt is the perfect size for this. It is then attqached to the meter.

In this picture you can see the bolt just under the meter

LapTraffic

#6 Post by LapTraffic »

the last step is to trim the 4' wire coming from the lavender ignition wire to length and crimp on a female blade receptacle.

Insert the wire onto the remaining meter prong and zip tie wires to trim things up.

This picture shows the wires loose still.

You will need to make sure they are secure as riding will dislodge them from the meter and the meter will stop recording time.

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

The final product is an hour meter that will help with scheduled maintenance on the bike located in a secure, out of the way area of the bike, but that's still easily accessible.

And the integrity of the wiring harness is intact.

Hope this is useful to some of you.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Mjollnir

#8 Post by Mjollnir »

Great walkthrough Lap!

You beat me to it. I got my hourmeter a couple weeks ago and had it all planned out on how to install, but I like the mounting job you did - I think I may do the same thing...

Anyway, anyone else interested in doing this, look on ebay for an hour meter - I got mine brand new for 5 bucks, 8 including shipping. It's a Hobbs universal, as shown...

Marc

mountainman10

#9 Post by mountainman10 »

Great post. Now if we can just figure how to get a tach hooked up on the c-dale we will be set.

LapTraffic

#10 Post by LapTraffic »

Thanks guys, Mjollnir that's definately the way to go on the hour meter. Good find!