Dead Cannibal, help!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
daericks

Dead Cannibal, help!

#1 Post by daericks »

My buddies and I went out to Glamis last weekend and we were about 12 miles out when his Cannibal just DIED. It is 100% stock except it has a different map. Not sure what went wrong, but here is what it did... When we started riding, he said it was coughing a little, like the choke was on (i know there isn't one but that is the best way to describe it). Later on , he couldn't get it to shift into 3rd because it would stall out, again the choke thing. Then, when it died, he couldn't even get it out of first. We could start it and let it idle all day long but as soon as we engaged it in 1st, it would sputter and die. We were lucky, and I can't express to you how lucky we were, that my other friend was able to convice someone to lend us their tow rope. We then proceeded to TOW the disabled quad 15 miles, over dunes, witche's eyes, birms, etc. When we finally got it back to camp, we had our two resident ATV guru's look at it. They are mechanics from a Honda shop and a Kawasaki shop and they couldn't figure it out. After we messed with it for a while, the darn thing completely stoped working. We couldn't even get it to start. bummer...

Is it the crank? Is it electrical? Is it battery connections? Is it the map? Is it just a pile of crap? We are going to take it to the event in So. Cal in two weeks but I would like to try to get something going. If anyone has any ideas, please share them with me. I'm going to post this in the help section as well, so please don't get riled if you see this posted twice.

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Did you check the battery voltage. In order for the ecu to stay powered up it needs (I think) 12.5 volts. No voltage and the ecu shuts down.

This is just a place to start looking.

daericks

nope...

#3 Post by daericks »

I'll try that tonight.

CdaleRacer0128

#4 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

check all your battery connections and evertyhing, tightne them up do as derno said and use di electrical grease on them to ensure a nice clean contact

mine did the same thing i thought i blew the quad up:( but it was just a loose terminal

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Honda gurus?? I heard those guys couldn't fix a sandwhich
tongue.gif I kid I kid
Physically remove the battery cables and ground wires and clean them . Check the fuel pressure to be sure the filters and tank strainer are ok or orings arent swollen. Does it have the M hex code?

daericks

hex code??

#6 Post by daericks »

I don't have a clue about how to do any of what you said except to remove the battery! I don't know what you mean by hex code... I do have the d&M kit if that will help me in any way... Oh, I did hook it up and the diagnostic said nothing was wrong.

I'll disconnect the batter now, it has been charging for a few hours on a Tender and it is green.

daericks

i almost forgot...

#7 Post by daericks »

It is BRAND new. The break in was completed last weekend and this was its first real ride. 03 model. Not sure if that matters at all.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

There have been instances where the battery from the factory was not holding enough of a charge under load to keep the quad running. That is why I chose this idea first. It is simple. take a tester to the terminals and take a reading. then if you get the quad started check again and see what she has under load.

Just being safe.biggrin.gif

daericks

not the battery...

#9 Post by daericks »

I took this one step further, I took the brand new battery out of another dale and installed it. Still no dice. Any other ideas?

Ryanstones

#10 Post by Ryanstones »

Wow, you need an enduro bag with minimal tools, that includes a tow rope Dan! Scares me just thinkin about being stuck out there. I've only had to tow mine in twice, but some 'dales get pulled alot. Be prepared, huh?
Electrical connections are real gremlins you have to stay ahead of by applying thin coat of dielectric and tightening snug. Don't overtighten the batt. terminals.

You don't have to remove the battery to charge it. Just pull the fuse and clamp red to red and black to your footpeg or somethin. You probably know that.

Unless you have a jack, invest in some knee pads or a thick foam mat to kneel on while servicing your cannon. Get up close and get to know her. LOL Now get out your wallet. J/K, j/k.

You should change the plug and replace it with a cr8ek, if you have one.

Good luck,
write back
:usa