Bleeding Coolant...

Q&A about routine maintenance.
cdalemx301

Bleeding Coolant...

#1 Post by cdalemx301 »

I drained all my coolant out and refilled it with engine ice....my question is how do i bleed i followed the manual it says unscrew the screw on water pump and let air out......well what if coolant never come out....am i supposed to run the motor while doing this?

Mjollnir

#2 Post by Mjollnir »

The bleed hole is blocked. Most peeps will drill it out to a slightly larger size. I'm not sure exactly where it is, as I haven't had to do it, but you can just poke at it with a paper clip or something to move the obstruction out of the way probably.

Marc

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

Whoa there ...

I think you 2 are thinking of 2 different things.

A hose is what needs drilled a little bigger, I believe, nothing on the water pump.

Do a search for "bleeding AND coolant" and you will probably find an answer or maybe a couple wink.gif

Mjollnir

#4 Post by Mjollnir »

Ummmmmm, OK.

It does have to be running though. I'm betting maybe that was your problem?

garysol1

#5 Post by garysol1 »

Here is what Maz says about drilling the bleed hole:

..but the crystalization that occurs and pluggs up the self bleeder line.
Keep a close eyes on yours... and dont be afrid to drill it out.
The holes opening is about 4 mm... but the actual through hole is only 1mm... you can easily drill it out to 2mm.
This will allow coolant to flow through the self bleed line but there are no problems w/ that. It is almost impossible to have the hole become clogged at that size.

Originally posted by thomez
Whoa there ...

I think you 2 are thinking of 2 different things.

A hose is what needs drilled a little bigger, I believe, nothing on the water pump.

Do a search for "bleeding AND coolant" and you will probably find an answer or maybe a couple wink.gif

cdalemx301

#6 Post by cdalemx301 »

i have a non self bleeding bike does this still apply.....garysol kept mentioning self bleed so im now confused

J. Delaney

#7 Post by J. Delaney »

With the non self bleeding system, what you can do is filler up with coolant of choice. Now start it up. With the engine running, sit the quad up on it's tail. This will do a pretty good job of purging the cooling system.