Maintenance

Q&A about routine maintenance.
CannondaleRider

Maintenance

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

I am getting ready to send my FX440 motor to ATK for the "magic" package and the 450 kit. I am hoping that this makes it reliable and longer lasting, but being that i'm just starting to get into Cannondales I was wandering if I could get the most information I can get on ALL the engine maintanence to make sure it lasts as long as possible. Any engine maintence info would help, thanks :head:

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Like what are you looking for.

Change all oils every 5 hours. Use some kind of synthetic or semi synthetic oil. Keep the swingarm bearings greased...about every 10-15 hrs is good dpending on the conditions you use it in. They say change the fuel filter every 5 hours, but mine has lasted alot longer than that. Always go over your quad before a ride and check bolts. Keep an eye on your front ball joints. I always use high octane fuel. I was told that you should use a paper oil filter and not metal reuseable, but I am not sure why?

Hope this helps some.

If you have a specific question post it I am sure everyone will chime in....

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

Oil changes every 5 hours? I wouldn't be able to afford to ride it :eek:

That would be at lunch time on a normal riding weekend for me!

I say it depends on conditions, but if you find a synthetic oil that will change a single bit in 5 hours I'd like to hear about it.

I plan on changing mine every 20 or so. We'll see how she does.

Just my opinion but I think 5 (unless you are racing) is a little much. biggrin.gif

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

I am reciting the recomendations from factory. Honestly if you race every race or every other race. If you trail ride moderately and not at a super fast race mode pace then 10-15hrs is good.

I do race harescrambles just about every weekend. Also if you are hammering on the quad the oil will break down faster due to the heat and small ammounts in each chamber.

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

i usually change oil after every ride. there's always microscopic metal particals in the oil from normal engine wear. i clean the air filter also. grease all your pivot points, aarms, swing arm, shock bolts, tie rod ends, etc... the factory grease was sparce at best. some of my bolts had no grease on them! loc tite nuts and bolts. fender bolts especially. battery terminals are also good for backing out. there's ground wires on the outer bolt holding the fuel pressure regulater on so make sure that's always tight. and invest in some metal tranny and crankcase drain plugs!

jerrygomez2002

OIL CHANGES

#6 Post by jerrygomez2002 »

I do mine every 10-15 hours, or every other trip to the dunes. I noticed that after about 10 hours of hard use, mobile 1 synthetic starts to get darker, the tranny gets even darker. Anyway, when I also change the filters at this time, both eng and tranny filters are CLEAN.

I'm wondering if I can reuse the paper filter and make it last 2 oil changes?

FYI - Only my first oil change had tiny metal particles, my engine been running clean after that. Also, I just added a magnetic drain plug on the engine.

Now, about fuel filters every 5 hours, Really needed? This high maintence is starting to add up, but atleast my dale been GOOD to me...

speed2424

Magnetic Drain Plug

#7 Post by speed2424 »

Hey Jerry, Who did you get the magnetic drain plug from?I would like to put one in my speed.Thanks.smile.gif

jerrygomez2002

LINK

#8 Post by jerrygomez2002 »

All - This is the plug I'm running, this KTM plug works on a cannondale.

http://www.ziptyracing.com/display/eCommer...6&CategoryID=94

haydug

#9 Post by haydug »

I got the plugs on the way!!!
Thanks alot Jerry for the tip1 :clap:

slow moto 122

oil

#10 Post by slow moto 122 »

Is it ok to put in 5 w 50 full synthetic in my new motor