Installing new grips

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Redman

#11 Post by Redman »

I picked up some contact bonding glue at Wal-Mart. Just look for stuff that bonds rubber and metal together. Plus it has to be waterproof if you ride in the wet. Hairspray goes away the minute it gets wet.

Cannibal440

#12 Post by Cannibal440 »

Guy432 is right. The key is proper application. Water is not a problem either, unless the bike goes completely under water, and at that point you have alot more to worry about than the grips. Safety wire is a good idea, although I've never used it and never had a problem. The nice thing about the hairspray method over other glues is that when its time for new grips, you just slice the old one down the center and it peels right off, no bits of rubber left in the grip to scrape off.

LapTraffic

#13 Post by LapTraffic »

1 tube of super glue... 1.99
1 set of Scott Grips..... 7.99
Having to call your wife out to the garage and explain why you need ALL of her fingernail polish remover to get yourself unstuck from the mess of grips and bars that you are nearly permanently adhered to?.... Priceless

Super glue no worky. Sets WAY too quick.

311racer

#14 Post by 311racer »

I always use gas because it evaporates. pour alittle in the grip and turn the grip so the gas is all over when you start to see it evaporate push the grip on the bar. haven't had one come off yet!

2002 cannibal #311
moto mapping
hmf exhaust
lonestar extend axle
musser racing nerfs
custom axis shocks
race tires all around

looking for a set long travel a-arms?

jcv440

#15 Post by jcv440 »

Hairspray is the king. And yes, it does have to applied correctly. I use the cheapest stuff I can find....Rave.....rolleyes.gif I usually get the best results with the wildberry scent...biggrin.gif

Mjnova

#16 Post by Mjnova »

All of your methods are too hard. Compressed air!!!!!! Small hole in grip one with someone or something blocking the other side. Quick shot of air slide the grip on ALL DONE. Then do the other side. Caution---Use very short bursts of air or the grip will deform. This method works great every time. NO GLUE NEEDED....

fyrmedic

#17 Post by fyrmedic »

I've tried all the suggestions, and the side with the knurls on it still slips.. anybody had the same prob??
so I bought some construction epoxy.. have to see if that works.