Installing new grips

Q&A about routine maintenance.
LapTraffic

Installing new grips

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

To you ATV Gurus

Whats the best way to get new grips on? Do you use grip glue? I used rubbing alcohol as a lubricant on the wife's Warrior and it worked ok, but the grips are not as solid as I would like.

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

I use Super Glue, they say it eats rubber on your grips, but I always wear them out before I have any trouble. You do have to cut them off when you replace them

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

I would be concerned about having loose spots with super glue.

Do you use a lot of super glue? Not worried about eating the rubber either, I only get about 10-15 hours out of grips anyway.

I was wondering if RTV would work, that blue gasket seal stuff.

Thanks

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

I have tried some RTV products, with no luck. I have used GM auto trim adhesive, it worked pretty good, but still not as good as the old super glue. I usually run 3 stripes long ways on the bar, then put some into the grip and spread around with a popsickle stick and slide it on, you better hurry though because it sets up quick and they are on to stay.

Ryanstones

#5 Post by Ryanstones »

I'm gonna try that superglue next time! Scott's (honda) glue works OK for about 4-5 rides. That $1 water~grip glue don't work at all. Fat, block style Ourys, with the inner flange are the best!

Cannibal440

#6 Post by Cannibal440 »

Any kind of hairspray works well. Just drain out the excess from the grip before you put it on the bar and they should hold very well. They go on a whole lot easier this way as well.

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

I used to use that with mountain bikes, always had a problem with the inner part not drying and actually staying kind of lubricated, guess I didnt get enough of it out.

Anyone know what the factory uses?

Cannibal440

#8 Post by Cannibal440 »

This is wy I say drain out the excess. Actually the less you use the better. Just enough to get the grip on. Make sure you rotate the grip all the way around after its on. This spreads the hairspray all over the grip and handlebar. You've used the right amount if the grip starts to tighten after you've rotated it. Then you shouldn't have a problem with loose spots or the liquid not drying. Good luck!

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

I use spraypaint.Wire is still the best but the paint works good too.Let it get a little tacky then use a air nozzle blowing at the bar and the grip the grip will go on real easy works for getting them off without wreaking them also.

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

I have tried both hair spray and paint, they work well but not good enough. When going through woops I always pulled the grips off-NOT fun. I have not pulled a grip since super glue