Pingel kill switch install

Q&A about routine maintenance.
MI_CDALE_Rider

Pingel kill switch install

#1 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

I'm looking to those cdale owners that have installed a Pingel kill switch...

The instructions as less than stellar, on the switch I received it has one blue wire and one red wire and the directions state that you need to splice these two wires into the two wires going to the factor off-on switch.

My questions are, did you simply attach (solder etc..) the blue wire to one of the factory off-on switch wires and the red to the other wire?
Factory
OFF/ON=====+pingle 2 wires jumped in=======motor
(=== is 2 wires)

OR

cut both off-on switch wires - connect blue pingle wire to one end of the two wires and connect the red to the other end of the two wires?
(=== is 2 wires)
Factory
OFF/======|<--blue--pingle - red pingle--->|=====motor
ON

Thanks in advance

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

I traced the stop start switch wire down to the two bullet connectors disconnected ONE(doesnt matter which) connector put one of pingle wires in female bulletconnector and one pingle wire in male bullet connector.

connector------------pingle---------connector
==connector-----------------------------------------

MI_CDALE_Rider

#3 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

OK I 'm a little confused... is this right.. you traced the factory on/off switch wires along the handle bars tuntil you found two bullet connectors, then you disconnected one of those bullet connectors and inserted the blue & red wires to reconnect the circuit?

BEFORE
factory on/off |------------motor
|------------motor

AFTER
factory on/off |-Bullet1>-motor
|- --motor

Thanks for the help I appreciate it! :clap:
QUOTE]Originally posted by cannondale27
I traced the stop start switch wire down to the two bullet connectors disconnected ONE(doesnt matter which) connector put one of pingle wires in female bulletconnector and one pingle wire in male bullet connector.

connector------------pingle---------connector
==connector-----------------------------------------
[/QUOTE]

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

I'm confused, too. You each knew what you meant with the sketches, but I'm clueless! Or, I'm an idiot. Which I wouldn't argue.

Like 27 said, follow the OFF/RUN wires. You'll end up underneath the airbox by the steering stem. Unhook either one of the two wires from the OFF/RUN switch at their bullet connectors and simply plug the Pingel into the two open ends that you just unplugged. I'd suggest a little di-electric grease on the terminals, then wrap them up with electrical tape. Zip tie the bundle of wires back together and your in business.

MI_CDALE_Rider

#5 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Originally posted by NRath
I'm confused, too.  You each knew what you meant with the sketches, but I'm clueless!  Or, I'm an idiot.  Which I wouldn't argue.

Like 27 said, follow the OFF/RUN wires.  You'll end up underneath the airbox by the steering stem.  Unhook either one of the two wires from the OFF/RUN switch at their bullet connectors and simply plug the Pingel into the two open ends that you just unplugged.  I'd suggest a little di-electric grease on the terminals, then wrap them up with electrical tape. Zip tie the bundle of wires back together and your in business.

thats what I assumed as well, the only thing is the pingle doesn't come ready to "plug in" its a non-terminated end or plain wire with no connector end. It will have to be spliced into each end of the bullet heat shrink/solder etc...

Thanks
smile.gif

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

You got it!Here is another keyboard symbol for ya.Nrath will get this one.

ACE=connectors

biggrin.gif

dalewannbe

#7 Post by dalewannbe »

carquest ta164 bullet connectors work great to be able to plug the pingel kill switch straight into the harness. you will need to crimp the connectors onto the red and blue wires.

speed2424

Connectors

#8 Post by speed2424 »

You can also get the connectors at Radio Shack.smile.gif

MI_CDALE_Rider

#9 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Great idea thanks! I will head to Rat Shack after work

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

Man, plug into harness?? forget that mess. If your bike is as cramped as mine you can't reach that thing without taking stuff off. Just trace the on/off switch back to behind the handle bars, cut that sucker and put plugs on it there. There is NO difference in this and taking it back to the main harness. I don't think it matters which wires you have plugged to which (only 2 on both items) since it just completes the circuit. And if it does matter, plug it in, if it doesn't work then switch it back. Then put some heat shrink tubing on there and your set.

Heck, if your any good at riding you won't ever use the thing.
Hint, mines gets a lot of use! :drink: :drink: