1st time

Q&A about routine maintenance.
4punksdad

1st time

#1 Post by 4punksdad »

My cannibal has been serviced by Guy before I bought it, but this weekend will be my first attempt at an oil change, fuel filter change and air filter cleaning. Any tips I should hear about before I dive in head first?

dawzie

#2 Post by dawzie »

Fuel is easy. unplug the hose at the tank. That stops the fuel flow. Remove the filter and install new. Point arrow in flow direction. The oil is a little harder. I got some half inch ID clear hose from Home Depot to slip over the oil drain nipples on each side of the frame to direct the flow into a drain pan under the quad. A 10mm wrench fits them. A 14mm wrench fits the oil bolt on the bottom of the motor where the oil line connects. DONT LOSE the little alum. washers (2-one on each side of the hose) on the bolt !! Now, that bolt that holds the oil filter is a E6 socket (female) I had to order it from snap-on. I got mine in 1/4" drive. If you have a BIG sears store near by they might have it. Watch you don't lose the o-rings on the filter cover. There are two, one is tiny. I use engine assembly grease fron NAPA. A small tube will last forever at about $3. Put it on the filter gaskets and the o-rings. Just enough to get them wet is good. Do the tranny oil too. That drain plug will be a 12mm on the updated ones or 14mm on old style. Losen the drain plug, the filter screen is inside the hole. Mine has always come out with the plug. Once the plug is out you will have to wiggle the screen loose from the plug to get the plug off, then pull the screen out. Wash it off with GOOD brake clean and dry. After the tranny oil is done draining, slide the screen filter back into the hole, now take the plug and hold it by the motor rail and slide the screen back into the hole in the plug. Screw the plug back in the motor with your fingers. It should go most of the way in by hand. This insures the other end of the screen went into the tranny like it should. Tighten all drain plugs and nipples. Fill the motor with 1600cc or 1.7 qt. or 1qt,11oz. of oil. Fill the tranny with 600cc or .85qt or 14oz. of oil.

Now comes the war - which oil. I use www.amsoil.com ONLY. In the winter 0w40 in motor and tranny. It is develope for bike trannys!! In the summer 10w40 in both. I get the for stroke oil that is made for bikes!!

In the owners book for the tranny it says to use 80w or 85w "Do not use hypoid gear oil". 10w30 motor oil is equal to that. Ask for tech service and they can explain it.

Just make sure you use a four stroke oil in the motor and a oil that is recommended for wet clutches in the tranny !!

Sorry for the long post:eek:

4punksdad

#3 Post by 4punksdad »

very informative.............thanks.

dawzie

#4 Post by dawzie »

I forgot about the air cleaner. I use a K&N filter service kit from napa. Roll the filter foam away from the screen. Wash with K&N cleaner and dry. Spray filter oil inside and out. Work in foam with fingers, squeeze out surplus, roll foam back over screen. Take that napa engine lube and use plenty on mating surface of filter. Install filter being very carfull to install the bottom first, then tilt it up into place. Install spring clip.

dawzie

#5 Post by dawzie »

I forgot to mention that too. I.ve checked mine 3 times now and it NEVER needed cleaning.

311racer

#6 Post by 311racer »

i have a question about the oil amount your supposed to use.
they said to use 1.7usgts . is it 1qt and 7oz. or is it 1 and 3/4 qts. i have been using 1and 3/4 qts of oil every change. please let me know if im using to much. thanks mike

TricityCdale

#7 Post by TricityCdale »

1 3/4 is correct. Just make sure you check the oil level at the dipstick to be sure.

LapTraffic

#8 Post by LapTraffic »

1 important note is to use never seize on the tranny drain bolt. If you dont it can be a real bear to get off. I destroyed the one that came with bike, came very close to not being able to get it out at all.

Replacement one gets a coating of never seize every oil change.

4punksdad

#9 Post by 4punksdad »

I still have not changed the oil or filters...............been busy plowing snow all week. I will report back with my results. Thanks for all of the info so far.

4punksdad

#10 Post by 4punksdad »

well................I did it.

thanks for all of the info that warned me of the dangers... (like losing the washers on the case drain)

the fuel filter was a breeze............the air filter was no prob either. while I was there I decided to change the spark plug also..........I skipped the tranny oil change this time. I will hit it next oil change.

the oil change went ok, but I wasn't expecting to get covered with oil from the case drain the way I did. either way...............I am all done and ready for a ride. can't wait for this 2+ feet of snow to melt or freeze! Its slushy out there right now sad.gif

I had quad fever after all of this, so I took my quadracer out for a qick ride (just to make sure the neighbors knew I was still alive)

biggrin.gif