Oceano Dunes (Pismo)

Mjollnir

Oceano Dunes (Pismo)

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

Well, I spent the weekend in Pismo on the Cannondale. Raced a lot of people on a lot of machines, but it took me until Saturday afternoon to really figure out the launches on the 'dale. Ended up launching in 2nd most of the time, with very little feathering of the clutch needed. I think I was getting a bit too much wheelspin with the Edge 8-paddles, but they didn't have Extreme Haulers in the size I wanted (oh well).

As far as comparisons, in our camp there were 3 Banshees (1 heavily modded, one piped, one bone stock), a piped 400EX, a Stock Raptor, and various smaller machines not worth mentioning. I could handily beat everything except the 'shees. The stock one and the piped one were pretty even on the short drags, and the modded one handed me my *** repeatedly. I should note that the riders of the two lesser modded ones weigh under 150, and I go about 240. The heavily modded 'shee is ridden by a 250 pounder and has a +6 swingarm and haulers, so it launches incredibly hard. I should also note that I am NOT a very experienced quad rider, and am still getting used to 4 wheels under me instead of 2.

As far as other bikes, I tried to find a DS650 to race, but it seems like every one of them turned and ran when they saw me except one, who continuously jumped the line. We never did get an even start - when he would jump, he'd win, when I started to jump it in an effort to have an even run, I'd win. I beat every 400EX I tried, 'shees were hit and miss. Z400's were the same story as 400EX's, regardless of mods. Not a lot of Raptors were taking (same story as the DS's). There was a stock 250R out there beating everyone (except the drag-only crowd) and surprising a lot of people. The guy said that all it had was a thin head gasket and some carb work. He was dialed in for sure. The only one in our group that could take him was the above mentioned banshee.

Most of the racing we did was on an unnamed hill in the southeast corner of the dunes, a short 75-100 foot hill, fairly steep. The "new" Comp Hill sucked, and was overrun with idiots. We avoided it because of the HUGE amounts of garbage and glass. These a-holes are going to ruin it for the rest of us the way they are treating the dunes. "Old" Comp Hill has been nonexistant for 2 years, and there seems to be a razorback growing right in the middle of it.

Overall, good trip. The 'dale is awesome, though I think I will be getting a pipe and mapping next year sometime, after I get really comfortable on it. I'm thinking an extended swingarm would be cool at some point as well, though I don't want to mess with the handling too much.

autox7

#2 Post by autox7 »

My buddy and I went to Pismo on Friday, and I have to agree with you about all of the trash. We rode along the fence line and way back in the back most of the day, and it was ridiculous.

I did not find very many DS650's either. I did see a few other C-Dale's however. I saw another Speed, and a Cannible at the Sand Drags on Friday.

It was the first time I had been to Pismo, and not having paddle tires limited my fun somewhat, but it was still a blast. Making it up some of the longer dunes and having people watch you just waiting for me to bog down was great.

:cool:

Mjollnir

#3 Post by Mjollnir »

I saw the speed, and another 'dale that I couldn't tell - it had silver plastic with red headlinght covers (with headlights, not the blaze or moto ones).

I saw you too - said to my buddy - hey, there's a speed. Then, hey, it doesn't have paddles. That's gotta suck.

Them are the only three 'dales that I saw...