Desert setup

ABM-CANNIBAL

Desert setup

#1 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

I am starting to desert race and wanted to know what would be the best setup for this. I was thinking it would be close to a woods setup. The terrain I race is mainly tight trails w/lots and lots of woops, fast straight aways, and little bit of hill climbs. I think a comforatable width would be around 48". Right now it is a stock cannibal.

Thanks,
ABM

ABM-CANNIBAL

#2 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Anyone got a suggestion.

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

I would start with suspension mods, try and get a zps setup going with a set of TCS or Elkas and a rear conversion. I think that will make you faster than anything, having good suspension. The 'Dale already has the power necessary to go fast on the tight trails. Now put it to the ground and take the turns faster, and you'll be screamin.

Good luck biggrin.gif

ABM-CANNIBAL

#4 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Thanks alot Zack

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

If these desert races are anything like the Baja terrain, I would suggest some tall tires like the 23's for the front and 22's for the rear. Also, maybe look into tireballs. I agree with Thomez on the suspension. A desert seat would be nice also.

J. Delaney

#6 Post by J. Delaney »

What's a desert seat?

ABM-CANNIBAL

#7 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Looks like I will also have to look into some beadlocks. I just bent my stock front rim on the inside. I also need a kill switch. This is the first time I turned her over and it threw me off and turned on its side and didn't shut off. Lucky it was on its side or I would have been running to catch it. A desert seat is about double the thickness of a regular seat.

thomez

#8 Post by thomez »

OK, more ideas.

Definetely some quality wheels. Beadlocks are great if you don't want a tire coming off the bead, but a flat is still a flat. It is all about if you want to run one flat or not, I guess. I decided that the ITP T9 Baja wheel was what I wanted. They look great and are strong and light.

Gotta have a Pingle... mine ran on its backside on the rev limiter for like 30 seconds til I got to it and from then on I swore to always wear mine :wow

A quality swingarm skid plate like a PRM.

Something I can't believe I forgot, a steering dampner! Priceless!

Tireballs ... a lot of money spent better elsewhere - unless you are a pro and your contract with Honda depends on if you get a top 5 or not, just take the bad luck of flat tires... it isn't worth a grand to me.

Desert seat - hi-flite foam. I think it is www.hi-flite.com or something close. Do a search here and you'll find info. Also find pics of Jeff Stoess' bike, he runs one for GNCC.

Give Doug a call and I bet he can outfit you with at least the wheels, Pingle, and skid, and he might have more ideas too biggrin.gif

ABM-CANNIBAL

#9 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

ITP T9 Baja wheel is exactly what I was wanting. I will have to look at a steering dampner. So many things I want-So little money I have.:mad: