1st race questions

MI_CDALE_Rider

1st race questions

#1 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Hello all! biggrin.gif I know this post might be a little off topic but I wanter to ask you race vetsa couple questions.

I am new to quad riding, but have rode dirt bikes since I was a kid. I have been out a handful of times getting used to my 03' cannible and feel that I ma comfortable with it even at high speeds or race like conditions.

I am interested in entering a race thats not to brutal. I am not sure of all the race type terminology but my friend Mike Novak (who some of you may know from his CDALE racing - now on a Yam) rides GNCC cross country (again terminology?) and is strongly suggesting that I could enter the race.

One of my questions is whats a good race to enter for a newbie?
I am in Michigan and don't want to go to far to race.

Second question is my quad is pretty much stock other than a new wider PRM grab bar, new PRM bumper, and front Hiper 4/1 carbon fiber bead lock rims. What race type upgrades would you suggest without getting to wild. I have thought about the "toaster"exhaust but have heard that the noise from most of the better add-on exhaust is bringing lots of complaints and that new regs are coming to "outlaw" those exhaust upgrades.

What equipment other than the standard boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, and camelback should I purchase? Chest protector? Elbow/knee pads? How about bringing special tools/equipment/supplies for the quad on race day?

Thanks in advance!
Ken

:clap: :clap:

ABM-CANNIBAL

#2 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

The first thing you might want to buy is the D&M so you can remap your Cannibal to fit your type of riding. Since the Cannibal is perfect in the power department, you might look at the suspension. Haydug has some +1 A-Arms for sale that would be perfect for GNCC type racing and look out for some shocks. Im not sure but you probably have the Arvins if yours is a 03'. Maybe some nerf bars and the exhaust. HMF has a quite core for their exhaust that might help with the noise restrictions. Other then that, just go out and try it. You never know if you will like it till you try it.

02Cannibal

#3 Post by 02Cannibal »

Just go and try it.
Enter yourself in the C class, which is a mix of first year and beginner riders. Just pace yourself on the track. Power is not the main thing in woods racing. A good steady pace will get you further. Read the reports the guys on this board post. You can get a lot of good info on what to do and what not to do during a race.

As far as mods, the Dale doesn't need much. Shocks would be my #1 thing. I would look into Ohlins with the Elka conversion or a set of Elkas. +1 is nice, but then you should decide if you want to go standard or long travel if your going to replace the shock as well. A belly skid is a good idea too.

For the engine, an HMF and a new map is really all you need.

I'm a firm believer in gear, and would say get as much as you can afford. Boots, knee/shin guards, chest protector, elbow/forearm guards. It all helps if you take flight.

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

Riding gear should be your #1 priority!! Start with a good helmet, chest protector, goggles, and boots.
As for the bike, I would look into shocks first, HMF pipe with mapping, and then a-arms. If you already have 4+1 wheels, you will need the wider arms to get you back to stock width.
Are you going to MX, or XC?

MI_CDALE_Rider

#5 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Originally posted by haydug
Riding gear should be your #1 priority!!  Start with a good helmet, chest protector, goggles, and boots.
As for the bike, I would look into shocks first, HMF pipe with mapping, and then a-arms. If you already have 4+1 wheels, you will need the wider arms to get you back to stock width.
Are you going to MX, or XC?

haydug,

Thanks for the info I really aprreciate the insight. Does XC mean cross country? if so that would be what type of racing I am looking into. Why is the stock width important? What shocks do you suggest, I'm not even sure what type I have on there other than they have the yellow coils on them.

Do you know anything about a new pipe that quieter from HMF?

Thanks,
Ken

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

Does cross country mean hare scramble up north and out east? Because it does here, and man, you gotta get used to woods riding in very tight areas. I have thought about entering a couple times and everytme I think I am ready I smack into a freaking tree. OMG, not a good feeling. smile.gif I haven't been thrown yet and I am sooo happy about that.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

Lets not forget nerf bars and a kill switch, both are probably required safety equipment for most races.

I'd also get a set of handguards if your racing XC.

in XC racing, the races usually last 1.5-2 hours, so get yourself into shape if your not already.

I'd suggest looking for a local xc or hairscramble series and try them first. Goto http://www.atvaonline.com and see if you can find what district your in and if they have a website.

NRath

My 2 cents...

#8 Post by NRath »

Like Doug said, riding gear is number one!! Sad to say because it's kind of expensive. Get boots with some tread/lugs on the bottom, sooner or later your going to be glad you had some traction on the bottom of your feet! And a helmet, gloves, goggles, and chest protector. Got to take care of #1 up front!

As for the quad, your well on the way. A kill switch will probably be required. Nerfs are probably not required but are good to have. For your first race, get your gear, get a kill switch, and go find a state race to run somewhere. After the first race, you'll figure out what you want pretty quick- here's my picks in order for an XC racer's goodies.

1. new grips
2. nerfs
3. hand guards
4. suspension
5. a pipe and remap

C'dales are plenty fast and I don't think a pipe needs to be high on the list of goodies. The suspension will help you far more than a pipe. You'll have to decide if you want to buy arms or not. If your a recreational racer on a budget, like me, you don't need them. A new set of compression and rebound adjustable shocks will work wonders!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

MI_CDALE_Rider

#9 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Originally posted by Happyboy
Does cross country mean hare scramble up north and out east?  Because it does here, and man, you gotta get used to woods riding in very tight areas.  I have thought about entering a couple times and everytme I think I am ready I smack into a freaking tree.  OMG, not a good feeling.  :)  I haven't been thrown yet and I am sooo happy about that.

Hi Happyboy I feel the same about entering sort unnerving.
I haven't been thrown off or hit a tree yet either but know its coming. I like the tight twisty stuff for Hare/XC might be for me
smile.gif

MI_CDALE_Rider

#10 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Jaybr - All good ideas I appreciate your help! I forgot to mention that I have hand guards (in process now) and kill switch was on my shopping list. Thanks for the link!!!!!

Nrath - Thanks for your ideas as well I really appreciate the quick and friendly response from you and everyone else!

I really think I am going to enjoy this hobby and all the people involved.

Ken smile.gif