Haspin Acres MX Series (Long)

jesshamner

Haspin Acres MX Series (Long)

#1 Post by jesshamner »

I had a day off work so I decided to drive up to Haspin Acres (Laurel, Indiana) to try out the mx races. I have raced only 1 mx race before on an actual mx track. The Haspin acres track is more like a TT track. It has a couple jumps but they aren't very big and the track is super fast...when its dry. When my buddies and I got there, the parking lot was muddy. If you have been there...you know that the parking lot is all dirt...so its mud or dust. We decided to go ahead and sign up at 9:30. We asked about the classes since we hadn't heard anything about it yet. They said there was 3 quad classes: Minis, blaster, and open. There were 17 in the open class and I was terrified. I instantly thought back to when we were driving to our parking spot and seeing some really nice setups. Let me remind you that I'm riding a stock cannibal with glamis ohlins and fox rear shock. Not exactly the best mx setup.

It was time for practice. The entire track was sloppy and it looked like that had actually watered it in some places even after it had rained overnight. Directly after the biggest jump, it looked like they had added a mudpit. Since the track was so wet, it became a one lane mx track all the way around. The only dry spots were where the track goes along a ridge. From all the mud, my homemade number plates weren't holding up. LOL.

After 2 practice sessions it was time for the first moto. I felt comfortable with the track b/c I have ridden the track many times before and the 2 pactices gave me a feel for the dry lines. Off the line I decided to try and pull a 2nd gear start. I ended up last or second to last (I'm not the best drag racer). I tried working my way up but b/c there were only a few places to pass, I was to no avail. Another problem was that the inexperienced jumpers were in front of me. Every time we came to a jump, they would go 2 or 3 wide, speed up to the lip, and immediately hit the brakes. I could have made up a lot of ground by passing on the jumps but the slow people were all over the place. Then it was back to one line. I finished 9th....I think.

In moto 2, the track was a lot dryer from the sun and wind. I was ready to take on the field as I had loaded the x440speed map and was ready for the holeshot. I was previously running the blaze/speed map b/c of the mud. I was in nearly the same gate position. When the bungee cord dropped (yeah I said bungee cord...not gates), I took off...this time in 1st gear. I was 3rd around the first corner. I managed to hold off one of the faster riders but I could feel he was right there around each turn and right beside me on most of the jumps. On the second lap, we come around to the 2 biggest jumps near the finish line. I had been jumping both and knew that most people weren't jumping so I was prepared to take 1st or 2nd. The first jump was sort of an uphill triple. I doubled and singled. When I came up to the single part, I finally noticed a racer down and people were slowing us down. I was probably going too fast but I didn't want to lose the position and I knew that other people hadn't slowed down. The racer was well of the track anyway. I came around the turn and hit the next jump. By this time the 2 guys in front had left me behind. Now, I only had to hold off the guys behind me. I came around still in 3rd and the racer was still just off the track. I guess it was pretty serious. I hope he was ok. I rolled over the jump, hit it hard and jumped the last jump. As I landed, the quad died. My heart sank. I was in disbelief and starting to get angry. I pulled the clutch in and tried to roll over the finish line. 3 people passed me just before the line. I was really pissed. Then some dude that was racing behind me slams into the side of me after I rolled to a stop just beyond the finish line. He starts yelling me for going too fast past the hurt rider. I told him that I wasn't going any faster than anyone else. He said that I was riding out of control and almost hit him. The funny thing is that he was behind me the whole time. I'm sure he would have said something to the other people around except they were nowhere to be found and I was the only cannondale there.

I placed 8th in the races and was satisfied I guess. I was a little disappointed from the events of the last race. I would have got a nice little cheap plaque if I would have been 7th. Oh well, it was all for fun since Im an xc racer by heart.

After the race I figured out that the key was turned off causing me to lose 3 places in the last moto. I don't have a key switch plate yet so its just lying there on the tank cover. I still don't see how it could have been turned to the off position. When I turned it on, it started right up. I was then excited as to how well the cdale was running. I decided I was going to go see what it had at the drag strip.

Now remember, I'm a horrible drag racer. I jumped in with some guys that were lined up. The race was between a DS 650 and a Banshee. The guy signalled to start so I took off. I looked back and they didn't even start. I hurried back the line b/c they waited on me. We finally took off and when I looked back, all I could see was dust again. I thought they didn't start again but then I saw them emerge from the dust. I had raped the ds650 and the ds650 had its way with the banshee. I beat the banshee by half the drag strip. LOL. He must have had a bad start. The ds650 guy flags me down and wants to know what is done to the cdale. I smiled and said, "Handlebars and handguards.":head: I then race a filtered and piped 450r. I killed him too but not as bad as the ds650. I asked him about his friends yfz. He said it was all stock and to go for it. We get to the line and another yfz was there. We all 3 line up and get started. They both got the jump off the line. I was right on the rear wheels and then I got traction. It was all over from there. I beat second place by at least 2 bike lengths. It was a good day for the cannondale at the drag strip and almost a good day at the mx track.

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

if you had some arvins you probably could've gotten the overall.
glamis fronts and a fox rear would cause you to be out of control most of the time and might hit an injured rider laying off to the side of the track if there is one. i like the key flopping around, sounds like a good match for a clothes hanger muffler support.tongue.gif

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

Sounds like it turned out to be a fun days riding! That little bit of drag racing at the end made it all worth while! Good Job throwing the smack down on the naysayers!!!:hammer:

Why in the heck is your key flopping around on the tank cover? You're making us look bad!!!!! Get it together!

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

Nice report.

I've got an extra key plate in the garage, do I need to donate it to the poor college boy race fund?

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

I am trying to save some money for speed2424's switch plate and status light kit. Instead of buying one, I decided to race. Plus, I couldn't decide which looked better, leaving the kill switch to dangle or ziptying it to the stem. They are both pretty classy.

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by jesshamner
I am trying to save some money for speed2424's switch plate and status light kit.  Instead of buying one, I decided to race.  Plus, I couldn't decide which looked better, leaving the kill switch to dangle or ziptying it to the stem.  They are both pretty classy.

Jess,

Are you going to get it with the hour meter or without?

Ken

TheJaspMan

#7 Post by TheJaspMan »

Jess let us know when you are going to Haspin. We are only 30 mins away.

That track sucks. It's like choppy concrete, or thick mud. No in between. The trails are the same way. We go there from time to time. But I like to head the other direction to Earlywines for MX or Big Rock for XC.

USAMoto00

#8 Post by USAMoto00 »

Sounds like you had a blast Jess!:clap: Forget about that guy harassing you. If you were in control and a safe distance from the down guy, keep a descent pace. Some guys around here will yell at you about it then pass you on a yellow flag and say it never happened. Race your own race and just be courteous. Awesome report.:usa

BGood

#9 Post by BGood »

Jaspman,
have you been to or heard of the new track at lake bailee in or near hamilton?
just wondering what it was like.
www.lakebailee.com

cdaleracer

#10 Post by cdaleracer »

we have been there to check it out. all I can say is that it's set up for dirt bikes. step up step downs, 90 whoops all in a row, etc., etc. we will go there when they are up and running to check it out though