Hare of the Dog

LapTraffic

#11 Post by LapTraffic »

some manuvering and showing off for the ladies and he finally got it underway again.

Everytime Paul and Corey came by the camera they waved. Here I am trying to look tough and focused and these guys are hamming it up! smile.gif

Paul with a thumbs up!

LapTraffic

#12 Post by LapTraffic »

Corey on his tricked out CRF 450 making time on the downside of the infield.

Corey was having a heck of time with his stock 400ex tires and 50+hp on the motor. He had mastered the 360 both entering and exiting corners and looked to do it almost on purpose.

Here is keeping is straight long enough to get a picture snapped!

LapTraffic

#13 Post by LapTraffic »

As I came to the check point at the end of lap 2 I could see a green kawasaki 400 leaving.

He had to be toward the front of the pack. I quickly caught up to him and passed on the straights as we left the woods section.

Charlie was still broken down in the same spot and waved me on with the same enthusiasm as the previous lap. He was pretty excited and I figured he either had to go to the bathroom or he was indicating that I was up in front.

This really got me hungry. I had never been running this strong in any of my previous races and started to put legs on the kawasaki 400 I had passed only moments before.

As I made my through the field course and put distance on the Kawasaki I actually started to get into laptraffic (ironic isnt it?)

I enginered passes as best I could as I picked my way through the scramblers and utilities and warriors.

Pounded up horsepower hill and onto the topside. There I got behind a fairly enormous utility, those things are like geo metros being driven from the outside.

Flying up on him I revved my engine, stuck my nose up even with him as much as I dared in the tight course, everything I could to indicate to this guy that I was faster and needed to get past.

He was very content to let me rot behind him.

Recently I had my exhaust checked, at 1/4 throttle it was 107 dB. I was well above 1/4 throttle when my mouth opened and the yell came forth

"GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!"

I was as suprised as the rider, for two reasons really. First that an even tempered working profressional such as myself would resort to yelling at another quad rider in a globally unimportant event, and second, that he not only heard me over the noise of our engines, but that he moved over and let me pass!!

The next 5 lappers I passed I didnt even set anything up. I flew up on their bumper and the yell came out! They would look around startled and move over letting me by. For the remainder of the race this was my passing technique as I moved through lappers, and is why I am still so hoarse today!

Here I am sliding through the infield...

LapTraffic

#14 Post by LapTraffic »

This time through the infield I noticed people pointing at me and taking pictues as I went by. I figurued I had to be in front!

I went through the checkstation and the course official confirmed it.

I was running in first for the first time ever!

Rather than make me nervous it galvanized me. I was running faster and harder through the course, I wasnt tired, fatigued or anyhting, I focused, in the zone. The course was passing by in effortless fashion and the laps ticked off as the hour race limit drew near

Here I am coming past the checkered flag.

LapTraffic

#15 Post by LapTraffic »

I was honestly in a state of disbelief. Had I just won my first race?

My wife ran up and took this picture as I pulled my helmet off. My self and the bike were a solid sheet of ice and dirt. My body armor had to weigh 30 pounds. My camel back was frozen and unusable.

LapTraffic

#16 Post by LapTraffic »

We were gathered around waiting for the results to be posted and the course official came out holding a fragment of a checkstation ribbon. I recognized it to be mine. It must have frozen solid and ripped in two after my swim.

To my horror the course official said that he couldnt score the ribbon because my name wasnt on it, it was on the missing piece.

I said that I could identify it as mine.

The course official asked if anyone protested that I was the overall winner of the event.

2 or 3 guys piped up at the same time.

"Was he on the Cannondale?"

I said "YEs, that was me"

"That guy DEFINITELY WON!"

this was echoed several times as my face turned 3 shades of red.

The course official walked inside and posted the results and gave me my trophy.

I had completed 7 laps and lapped all but 11 riders in the 31 bike field and finished 4+ minutes in front of second place.

Paul finished 4th after battling back with new gloves. Corey finished 9th and Charlie sucked up about 300 feet of trail marking ribbon, got it wrapped up in his sprocket and snapped his chain.

Here is Team MoneyShot with 1st and 4th trophies

OCR

#17 Post by OCR »

Awesome job man... Hopefully thats the first of many to come!!! :clap:

rbifi

#18 Post by rbifi »

Congratulations, VERY INSPIRING !!!

But, thank god I live in Florida!!!

pdavis

#19 Post by pdavis »

that is awsome, great job :clap:

Jaybr