1st race questions

haydug

#11 Post by haydug »

yellow springs huh?? Well could be either Arvins, or Ohlins. Some people on here (cdrookie) will argue that the arvins are plenty good enough, but we riders know better. Post a picture of them so we can tell you what you have.
As for exhaust, HMF with a quiet core should take care of you. Call me and I'll get you hooked up with anything you need to start with. Remember, it is about being safe and HAVING FUN!!!
Just because you see a pro do something, don't go and try it right off the bat and get hurt. I've been riding for 28 years now, and still love it more that anything.

cdrookie

#12 Post by cdrookie »

i've been watching this thread to maybe learn something myself, but doug had to throw my name in there so...

I HAVE YET TO SEE A SET OF ELKAS, TCS, AXIS, ETC, ETC, THAT ARE VALVED FOR MX, XC, TT, DUNES, TRAILS, HILLCLIMBS, MUD BOGS, DESERT, DRAGS, AND SNOW. FOR FAT PEOPLE, SKINNY PEOPLE, TALL, SHORT, PROS, NOVICE, AMATUER, FIRST TIMERS, OLD TIMERS, MEN, WOMEN, AND CHILDREN(OVER 16).

1 set of arvins can handle all that, without revalving, and with only one simple easy adjustment. with the money to get enough sets of a-market shocks to match, i could have a black dodge ram 1500 hemi magnum rumble bee gtx 4by. thank you. jesshamner will back me up if you don't believe me.

tongue.gif to the nonbelievers!:usa

cdrookie

#13 Post by cdrookie »

and now maybe something helpful.

1. get whatever protective gear you feel comfortable wearing. too much could do more harm than good. if i wore the latest and greatest new fangled gear i wouldn't be able to move! i wear $35 walmart boots cause i like to feel the pegs and shifter and brake pedal.

2. you couldn't pay me to use nerf bars for xc. just something to get hung up on rocks and stumps and drag in ruts. use the stock heel guards and put some peg extenders on the pegs.

3. tether kill switch!!!!

4. hand muffs that go over the bars for muddy events.

5. good set of tires. razr 1's work great, wear good, and are affordable.

6. loc tite every bolt and nut on your bike!

7. get in shape, you'll find out fast if you are or not.

xc is more about rider than horsepower. my machine was practically bone stock when this season began and i was competitive. i totaled my quadzilla on a tree and a tree took the life of my dales frame. respect trees, don't wear nikes and a muscle shirt, get a tether, go race and have fun! and post a race report!:hammer:

MI_CDALE_Rider

#14 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Originally posted by haydug
yellow springs huh??  Well could be either Arvins, or Ohlins. Some people on here (cdrookie) will argue that the arvins are plenty good enough, but we riders know better. Post a picture of them so we can tell you what you have.
As for exhaust, HMF with a quiet core should take care of you. Call me and I'll get you hooked up with anything you need to start with. Remember, it is about being safe and HAVING FUN!!!
Just because you see a pro do something, don't go and try it right off the bat and get hurt. I've been riding for 28 years now, and still love it more that anything.

Haydug, I store my quad 3 hours away at a family members house and will be there this weekend to ride so I will take a picture then and post it then. The HMF with quiet core sounds interesting I will call you next week about that and I assume that I will need to remap for the new exhaust. Thanks for the tips and the common sense check about seeing a pro do something LOL
I don't care if I come in last or 1st as long as I am having fun and can be fairly safe :head:

MI_CDALE_Rider

#15 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Originally posted by cdrookie
and now maybe something helpful.

1. get whatever protective gear you feel comfortable wearing. too much could do more harm than good. if i wore the latest and greatest new fangled gear i wouldn't be able to move! i wear $35 walmart boots cause i like to feel the pegs and shifter and brake pedal.

2. you couldn't pay me to use nerf bars for xc. just something to get hung up on rocks and stumps and drag in ruts. use the stock heel guards and put some peg extenders on the pegs.

3. tether kill switch!!!!

4. hand muffs that go over the bars for muddy events.

5. good set of tires. razr 1's work great, wear good, and are affordable.

6. loc tite every bolt and nut on your bike!

7. get in shape, you'll find out fast if you are or not.

xc is more about rider than horsepower. my machine was practically bone stock when this season began and i was competitive. i totaled my quadzilla on a tree and a tree took the life of my dales frame. respect trees, don't wear nikes and a muscle shirt, get a tether, go race and have fun! and post a race report!:hammer:

Hello cdrookie thaks for the tips I do appreciate it! I have the gear pretty much covered. I have heard convincing arguements for and against nerf bars and think I will wait until after my first race to see if I think I really need them.

I have seen posts about you MUST use a certain brand of kill (tether) switch or it may cause issues with the quad??
Over the bar hand muffs?? hmm you have a brand/model I can go check out on the web? Razr's are going on today in fact so check there :-)

Loctite has been done after day ones riding and losing half the plastic screws on my dale lol and as for in shape hoo boy I may be in trouble LOL

Thanks again I love the feedback from everyone!!!!!
:clap:

fred

#16 Post by fred »

Listen to Novak and race a local D14 race. You'll enjoy it.

And although Mike can sometimes go a little over board (he is a very fast racer), 99% of the info/advice he can give you is the way to go. I know that he has helped me out a bunch (I now own one of his old Cannondales).

I hope to see you at the races soon.

/Bart (aka Fred)

Derno24

#17 Post by Derno24 »

I think starting you have to decide what is necessary and not. Motor wise you have plenty for the woods, and suspension can be expensive. Rookie has the right idea to keeping riding fun and affordable. Get things as you think you need them or the old parts become too damaged.

From the stock stand point I would add tires, but you have them already. A pingle kill switch. Then you should be ok to go and have fun. If you aren't being super competitive about it gear won't be as much an issue. I would however recommend a chest protector though. I met a tree a year ago and man did my back pay for not having it on. With it being summer time I would see that the handle bar muffs would be necessary yet. You have probably seen pics of them on Jeff Soess quad from the GNCC races where it is super muddy.

2 pieces of advice that have nothing to do with set-up. Remember you aren't winning any money for the race that it is just for a trophy. Ride your own race and be safe. Alot of guys come out especially in the lower classes and ride like someone lit their pants on fire for the first 3 miles. Then reality sets in and they can't go anymore or they wind up crashing and getting hurt or destroying their quad. Now they become your biggest obstacle. The race is at least an hour and a half so you have plenty of time to make ground up if you don't get a good start. Just relax and have fun again.
:usa smile.gif

MI_CDALE_Rider

#18 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Originally posted by fred
Listen to Novak and race a local D14 race. You'll enjoy it.

And although Mike can sometimes go a little over board (he is a very fast racer), 99% of the info/advice he can give you is the way to go. I know that he has helped me out a bunch (I now own one of his old Cannondales).

I hope to see you at the races soon.

/Bart (aka Fred)

Hi Bart (aka Fred) I take all the info Mike gives me as the gospel since he has so much time/effort and $ in this sport. I agree that he is very intense and tries to transfer that to you lol

Hope to see you at a race soon!
Ken aka MI-CDALE_Rider:)

MI_CDALE_Rider

#19 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Originally posted by Derno24
I think starting you have to decide what is necessary and not.  Motor wise you have plenty for the woods, and suspension can be expensive.  Rookie has the right idea to keeping riding fun and affordable.  Get things as you think you need them or the old parts become too damaged.    

From the stock stand point I would add tires, but you have them already.  A pingle kill switch.  Then you should be ok to go and have fun.  If you aren't being super competitive about it gear won't be as much an issue.  I would however recommend a chest protector though.  I met a tree a year ago and man did my back pay for not having it on.   With it being summer time I would see that the handle bar muffs would be necessary yet.  You have probably seen pics of them on Jeff Soess quad from the GNCC races where it is super muddy.

2 pieces of advice that have nothing to do with set-up.  Remember you aren't winning any money for the race that it is just for a trophy.  Ride your own race and be safe.  Alot of guys come out especially in the lower classes and ride like someone lit their pants on fire for the first 3 miles.  Then reality sets in and they can't go anymore or they wind up crashing and getting hurt or destroying their quad.  Now they become your biggest obstacle.  The race is at least an hour and a half so you have plenty of time to make ground up if you don't get a good start.  Just relax and have fun again.  
:usa smile.gif

Hi Derno! Thanks for all the great info I appreciate it. I had been debating the chest protector but after hearing your comments and the thought or catching a rock inthe chest Ichanged my mind and will purchase one. I think I will just add the basics since I am a wanna be racer on a budget. I will get a pingle kill switch, how do these mount to the quad?

Good advice on the ride with common sense vs. trying to set land speed records LOL I want to start off slow and build up my skills and then worry about where I place.. Heck I just want to make it to the finish line.

Thanks again ! you guys are making the difference in me wanting to race versus sitting on the fence.

Thanks,
Ken
:clap:

ABM-CANNIBAL

#20 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

One item that helped alot is a good pair of goggles. When I first started riding I bought the cheapest pair of goggles for $14. They sucked. Scratched easily, fogged up no matter how much anti fogging cleaner I put and they would let dust in and make my contacts fall out. I just got a pair of Pro Grips and they have helped alot. No more fogging, scratches, dust and they are light sensitive.biggrin.gif