the flying dutchman 9/26, 5 FOOT TROPHY day

cdrookie

#11 Post by cdrookie »

following owens brother on his ex forever. kid is fast and hard to get around. then my tear offs blew off... some corners had too much water on them, real slick, easy to spinout in. couldn't get the dales power to the ground. tried a new front tire combo. 22"holeshot on the right, 22"razr on the left. worked great depending on which direction you were turning and the condition of the corner. wished i had 21" tires though.

saw derno every now and then, so he was up and running. track was drying out and traction was getting better but my brakes were fading a little in the "woods section". short straights with lots of turns.

cdrookie

#12 Post by cdrookie »

i got around owens brother in a corner when he over shot it, then a raptor was next on my list. he was riding smart and staying to the inside of the turns, 2 wheeling it in places. set him up a number of times but he wasn't letting off. finally he made a little mistake of going wide over a jump with a corner imediately over the crest. i shot to the inside and made the pass. it was fun battling with this guy. he was riding good and i could've swore i had him in about 9 straight corners but he always shut the door on me. we don't get this type of action much on the other tracks in the district, they're too rough and the competition quickly disappears.

my clutch started slipping from 3rd gear on up. it wasn't too bad cause it controlled wheel spin but i was beginning to wonder how much it had left...:confused:

cdrookie

#13 Post by cdrookie »

was starting to slowly reel in the guy infront of me on a 450r. saw chris borich coming but i made it to the barrels before him. white flag waving. got thru the barrels and pulled over to let borich by. he was on the yfz, alot of honda rumors floating around him..but it's been the yamie the last couple races.

closing in on the honda rapidly. pulled over for rob hertz. not far from the honda, about 8 bike lengths. then i stall it:mad: :furious: :cry: . couldn't get it started cause of the clutch, had to get it in neutral. then it started right up, but now i had to get it moving.:eek:

didn't loose any positions but wasn't gonna gain any either. cruised to the checkers.

cdrookie

#14 Post by cdrookie »

not sure where i finished, maybe second, cause some kid was pointing to someone that they got first. went to the truck and no derno or owen. that was good. knew derno wasn't in contention but didn't know what happened to owen.

the best part to me was that the a class didn't get past till the last lap, and they had a huge head start with no traffic!smile.gif only borich and hertz passed me after we got sorted out a little. they use to get past me on the 4th lap or so. took them 7 this time.

i say the dutchman is a good track to see how fast you are. it's not technical at all, tons of corners and switchbacks. more of a mx/tt enviroment. anybody with stamina could come out and be a spoiler with a good start.

cdrookie

#15 Post by cdrookie »

results were posted and i got third, my best dutchman finish and higher than my competition for the district series. a little disappointed about not getting second but it would've been a good race with the 450r and myself to the end.

i have 4 more opportunities to get a good start there and anything less than a 5 FOOT TROPHY will be a disappointment. if i ever get a good start.:confused:

Derno24

#16 Post by Derno24 »

Well here it is a chance to maybe end rookies streak of handing me my butt. I figure I have been riding good for a while, but have been killing myself with the little things lately. Decided to take a different approach to the race. Instead of lining up late. I lined up early. Right behind rookie. Got to the line and had my choice of starting spots. I was happy to see this.

I grabbed a spot more to the outside figuring I could sweep through the first turn and have a good shot at it. Well all plans sound good on paper.

Derno24

#17 Post by Derno24 »

Well as we are sitting there about 75 yards away we see a quad just flipping down the track. Yes it was A class rider Todd Rothermel. He seemed ok, but I think the quad was messed up.

Well our line finally gets started and away we go. Not the best start, but very respectable. I am in the middle of the pack and working my way around a couple of guys. Maybe 6-7 turns into the race the quad just dies. Now I quickly stab at the start button. Nothing. Now panic as I hear the rest of the class rumbling by. Now I am off the quad tuggin at wires figuring it has to be a loose connection. Nothing. Now I am thinking not only am I by myself right now the a guys will be coming soon.

Derno24

#18 Post by Derno24 »

Wiggle some more wires nothing. The track official tells me to push the quad off the track. So I find nuetral push it off the track and continue my quest. Then I figure crap I must have blown a fuse. Well as soon as my hand touches the fuse the fan starts running and I hit the start button and she fires right up. Hmmmmm interesting.

Now I am in decision mode. I know that I have no chance of catching rookie due to the nature of this course. Very fast and alot of turns. Not my strong suit. I have been on the side now for 1 1/2 minutes and no one from my class is even in sight. All the spectators are looking down the far side of the track.

The decision is this. Go out and ride and just have fun or Stomp on it and catch as many people as possible.

Well you guessed right I punch it and go flying. I am now possessed and figure if I am going to wear out it isn't going to be in last place.

Derno24

#19 Post by Derno24 »

I punch it and get on the gas so fast I almost flew off the back. I hit the next couple turns and notice I have all the spectators staring at me. Kinda cool, but I blow right by the next turn and had to find an alternate way to keep going.

Get back on track and figure I probably won't see many people on the first lap and that I should aim for the 2nd lap.

Well I was wrong. About half way through the lap I start seeing a slow diet of 400 ex's and z400's. The Cannondale is quick to munch up these apetizers and motor along. 3 down alot more to go. I am blazing pretty quick and catching guys pretty fast. I am also mixing in the occassional utility quad too.

Well the first lap is over and the Dales' meal consists of the following 3 400 ex's, a predator, 2 z400's, and something that looked like a warrior.

Derno24

#20 Post by Derno24 »

Now Lap 2 they came at me faster and the menu changed some. Now I was starting to see bigger fish. A YFZ, another 400 ex, 2 raptors. Man they make me laugh watching them corner on 2 wheels. I give them credit, but that must be tiresome.
Oh yeah and one thing about one of the raptors. I come flying up behind him and soon realized his pants weren't staying up very well cause I was staring at a full moon. We hit the switchbacks and I yell "Pull your **** pants up!" as I go by.

I feel good about the pace I am running and I see rookie every couple corners working through the field. He is waaaayyy ahead of me. I know I am not going to catch him today and continue working through the pack.

As I go the food for the dale goes from 400 ex's to bigger bore machines. It even had a dale too! Yup that is right a 3rd dale rider in our class.

:head: