6 hours of Rausch Creek coverage

JeffQuadShop

#61 Post by JeffQuadShop »

uhhh

Jaybr

#62 Post by Jaybr »

Got the motor on the bench this evening and took the side cover off. Much to my surprise one of the head bolts had loosened up:(

I'm not sure exactly what caused this, as I can guarantee you that Haydug and I torqued them to spec when we assembled this motor. We also noticed at the race that one of the helper nuts on the head had come off.

Only glanced over things breifly and had to run out for awhile but didn't notice anything else out of wack.

Derno24

#63 Post by Derno24 »

maybe the extreme heat did it! Not sure why it woul dod that though.

Jaybr

#64 Post by Jaybr »

Oh, and the oil return line did not have a hole in it:confused:

It was leaking around the clamp but the clamp was still fairly tight:confused:

Derno24

#65 Post by Derno24 »

That would explain why you had oil still!

DangerRanger

#66 Post by DangerRanger »

I am volunteering to help with prep for the 12hr for anyteam. I can gurantee that a lighting system done right will make a difference, along going over the quad with a fine tooth comb....If I can get things worked out, maybe a brand new ride for 3 riders, as long as I get to wrench and include some XC GEAR addtions.

BMW:)

DangerRanger

#67 Post by DangerRanger »

PS

Jay, did you and Doug use the cdale tool for the headbolts, or just a torque wrench? Before we got the tool at the shop, we put a couple together that did the same thing, without the proper tool to acheive correct torque?

The return line leaking is weird, revving high pushes alot of oil, but it shouldn't have gone out, I have found that unless you are dead on exact amount of oil, it will cough some and put some out of a few lines.

BMW

Jaybr

#68 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by DangerRanger

Jay, did you and Doug use the cdale tool for the headbolts, or just a torque wrench?  Before we got the tool at the shop, we put a couple together that did the same thing, without the proper tool to acheive correct torque?

Yep. I have the tool I picked up at the factory and took it with me to Dougs in case he didn't have one. He has one too. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I put it back together, maybe some blue locktite.

DangerRanger

#69 Post by DangerRanger »

I have not ever heard of the issue with the factor tool used, maybe doug was trying to sabatoge ya? jk..biggrin.gif

Weird?!

PS

The black combo looks good!

Jaybr

#70 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by DangerRanger

The black combo looks good!

You mean looked, lol

The plastic took a serious beating and is now gray in spots. I've got a spare set of silver that will probably go back on there. Jusry is still out on the PC'd frame, it still looks great everywhere except where the oil is in there, that section looks lke the mud got baked on. I haven't attempeted to clean it yet so we'll see.

I'm wondering if the PC on the frame had anything to do with it running hot, need to do some testing there.