Earlywine Indoor MX

jesshamner

Earlywine Indoor MX

#1 Post by jesshamner »

My friend Kyle and I decided to make the 3 hour trip to Earlywine Indoor MX in Dover, KY on Saturday. I wanted to start getting in shape for the district series coming up and it was supposed to be really cold. We thought the indoor mx would be a good way to ride and not worry about the elements. We escaped the snow but not the cold. We froze all day. Anyway, I signed up for the woodsmen class and my friend Kyle signed up for the C class since his predator is all decked out in mx trim.

We skipped open practice on Friday so we only had the 5 practice laps before the race to get used to the track. I was a little intimidated because I haven't hit jumps this big in a while. I was hitting everything but the 3 jumps by the end of the practice sesson. The 2 other guys in my class had been racing the whole series in the woodsmen class and pretty much made me look bad during practice. I didn't stand a chance.

The woodsmen class is set up for gncc racers to stay in shape during the off season. It is a dead engine start so you can guess how well the cannondale did against 2 hondas. Besides, I forgot to put it in gear before the start. I wasn't too far behind but I didn't push it too hard because I didn't want to hurt myself. 2nd place highsided on a berm and almost let me by. I tried to stay with him but I was just out of shape. I picked up another jump so I was hitting all but 2.

In the second moto, I remembered to start with it in gear but I killed it. It was a horrible start but it didn't take long to catch up. I stuck with them through the first couple laps. The guy that won the first moto made a pass and pretty much checked out. I didn't really worry about trying to take 2nd until the guy screwed up again. He didn't take the finish line jump right and let me by. I tried to pull away but I was just too tired. I wore myself out and screwed up to let him have 2nd again. I was trying to go big on everything except 1 jump (the biggest double) to catch up. I was right on his rearend. I thought maybe I could hammer through the whoop section and make the pass just before the finish line. While thinking about the pass, I came to the big double again. I decided not to clear it but hit it too hard. I took a nosedive and the bumper helped break my fall. My balls were saved by the bar mount and key switch plate. LOL. That was painful. I blew my chance of taking 2nd in the race through the whoops but I still made a strong finish.

I finished 3rd (or last) and got a plaque. LOL. I had so much fun, besides introducing my balls to my handlebars. The track is awesome and I am looking forward to going back. It definitely gave me an idea of the shape that I am in and how much training I need to do before the local xc series starts up. I'll be riding a little more before March 19th (the start of the D10 kyharescramble series). Also, I finally had the pleasure of meeting TheJaspMan. He's a great guy and an awesome photographer.

I would report on my friend's finish but we don't know how well he did. He didn't finish well but he too was out of shape. He decided to take it easy too. I think he finished 3rd or 4th from last. The C class was a big class.

Chris Earlywine is a stand up guy and great to talk to. He runs a very nice program and keeps the track well prepped. I highly recommend it. The do rent it out. I might try to get something going when it gets a little warmer and the winter series is over.

Here is a link to TheJaspMan's photojournal of the races this weekend. http://www.atvscene.com/forums/showthread....55&page=1&pp=10

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds like you pushed it.Thats good for sure will help you get ready.Ever notice about 3 races and a guy starts feeling much better?

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Good work!!! Now let's get 2nd next time!:eek:

Just messin with ya!

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

theJeStEr1340

#5 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Good job, at least you put pressure ont he 2nd place guy. The video Chuck has on the other site is sweet. I would live to come race up there.

MichiganMXer722

#6 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

Sounds like a sweet place to ride. A few of us from MI talked about coming down for a weekend race but it never panned out. On a side not they let you race w/o nerf bars??:confused:

DMAC10

Did you say Race???

#7 Post by DMAC10 »

Good job Jess:clap:

I've been wanting to go race up there. Doug has just about got the dale ready for action.smile.gif

Next time you head out to race drop me a line, and I may have to meet up with you.

I've got to get this old body race ready.

Good race report man:head: :head:

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

Yeah they didn't say anything to me about the nerf bars. I can't stand them really and I don't usually have any trouble keeping my feet on the pegs. Actually I lose footing more in the woods than I do riding mx.

If you all have a chance to go, I highly recommend it. Since it's quads only and Chris knows what he's doing, the races goes by fairly quickly.

27, I told myself that I wasn't going to push it but when the door opens its hard not to go for it.

DMAC, get up here and race the D10 races. www.kyharescramble.com This is the new series that I'm trying to get into shape for. I would really like to rent earlywine's sometime too. If I decide to do it, I'll let you know.

jacobw

#9 Post by jacobw »

jesshamner the only day you can rent are mondays and me and and group of guys are gonna try to rent in the fall sometime we was gonna go in the spring and haydug was gonna go but things are working in our favor but will def be down in the summer or fall:) And congrats on the first race. Was the track hard or kinda easy to learn?

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Man that sucks that its just on Mondays. Kind of squashes the idea of a group ride. The track is pretty easy to learn, especially if you ride mx all the time. I haven't really hit any big jumps in a while and it was a little intimidating during the walkthrough. It took me less than 10 laps to hit everything except 1 double. I would have hit the double too if I didn't have someone in front of me that wasn't hitting it. I was afraid that I would hit him on the way down.