Hixton, Wi D-16 MX

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

5/28 Ran my first race of the year today at Hixton Wi. I wanted to get a race under my belt before the big race next weekend. I also wanted to get the bugs worked out of my new ATKannondale. The good news is, the quad ran flawlessly. Not a single problem. Ran good and strong, even in the 93 degree heat. The motor is stock, still running the factory toaster exhaust. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that it is hard to hear it running at the line next to all the guys with there loud exhausts.
In the first moto I snubbed it at the line trying a third gear launch. Refired and took off , passed two guys tangled up in the first turn, stayed in that sport for the whole moto. I didn't expect to catch anyone, I was trying to learn the track, and this was an A class, so unless someone has a mechanical problem or crashes, I'm not going to catch them after snubbing it at the start. Finished 7 out of 9.
Went back to the pits and checked everything over, much to my surprise, nothing is loose, nothing needed any attention whatsoever. I tried to put gas in it and it was almost still full. This fuel injection is good on gas apparently.
Moto 2 is going to be better because I'm not going to kill it at the start. I picked an inside position that is strait to the first turn, and noone lines up next to my left, so I can hear my motor. The gate drops and I ease off the clutch and then pin it. This is a rocket! I get to the first turn close to the front, and I know I'm going to get hit from the side, and I'm hoping it helps turn me, and it does. The good news is, there were racers behind me, the bad news is they hit my rear tires and I killed the motor. I really need to work on my clutch use. I quickly refire the motor and I am in last place, but right on the guy in front of me. I figure there is one good place to pass, an uphill whoops section that is just amazing. I spent four laps in 93 degree heat trying to get into position so that I was close enough entering the whoops so that I could pass him in them. I was so tired that I manage to kill the motor 3 more times in corners due to lazy clutch work. I could gain on him in the whoops, but I was never close enough entering them to pull off the pass.
Due to the heat, I think only 7 guys showed up for the second moto, so I think I got 7th place there too. I think I got 5th or 6th overall.
I'm real happy the way the quad ran. I'm really surprised how well it does for being stock. I think with a good rider on board it could do really well against the modded yamahas and hondas. (for mx racing anyway). I know yesterday at least the problem was the rider, and not the quad.

azcannon

#2 Post by azcannon »

Good job man,thanks for the report

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Way to go!Turn that idle up a bit might help some stalling.

banzairx7

#4 Post by banzairx7 »

I hardly use the clutch and never have stalling issues. Like 27 said check your idle speed.

Good news is you'd whoop me. Im so out of shape I'm dead after 2 laps.

UpsMan

#5 Post by UpsMan »

Today I cleaned the quad up and didn't find anything wrong. I installed an HMF qrs system I bought awhile back. It isn't very loud, but it is louder, so I think I'll be able to hear it better on the track. It seems to run fine, so I don't think I need to adjust anything. I'll ride it harder tomorrow after I clean the air filter and change oil. Changing the oil is such a pleasure. Oh yeah, and I'll definately turn up the idle. I didn't even think of that til you guys mentioned it. I bet that simple thing will help quite a bit. I did that on my Honda last year and it helped a lot. For some reason I didn't even think of that on this one. Thanks guys.

azcannon

#6 Post by azcannon »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ May 29 2006, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today I cleaned the quad up and didn't find anything wrong. I installed an HMF qrs system I bought awhile back. It isn't very loud, but it is louder, so I think I'll be able to hear it better on the track. It seems to run fine, so I don't think I need to adjust anything. I'll ride it harder tomorrow after I clean the air filter and change oil. Changing the oil is such a pleasure. Oh yeah, and I'll definately turn up the idle. I didn't even think of that til you guys mentioned it. I bet that simple thing will help quite a bit. I did that on my Honda last year and it helped a lot. For some reason I didn't even think of that on this one. Thanks guys.

Hey if you get rid of that toaster I need another headpipe

Sandstorm

#7 Post by Sandstorm »

Dave Lindsay who races the Worcs series when his YFZ isn't broke down probably is the fastest mx guy who has ever rode an ATK. Not to discredit Jeff Stoess, but Lindsay would give Jeff everything he could handle. He is a local here and has beaten Josh Fredricks in a Worcs race more then once a few years back.. He rode an auto ATK432 (Frank being cheap I guess) w/ no ride time on it till that day of the race. He took 3rd behind Eichner and another dude and ahead of Fredricks two years ago at the Monticello, Utah round in Sept.. So yes they can win w/ a good rider like any other quad out there..

ATV Pro Production - Class Results

Place Nbr Name Overall Pos Points Earned Fastest Lap Laps Elasped Time
1 #1 DOUG EICHNER - HON
ELCAJON, CA 1 30 09:25.4
Lap 8 9 01:25:57.0
2 #53 CYLE CHISLOCK - YAM
MURRIETA, CA 2 25 09:32.7
Lap 2 9 01:26:58.5
3 #81 DAVID LINDSAY - ATK
RIVERTON, UT 3 21 09:36.2
Lap 4 9 01:28:46.1
4 #44q JOSH FREDERICK - YAM
MOAPA, NV 4 18 09:37.7
Lap 4 9 01:31:43.5
5 #609 JOE RAREY - YAM
ORTING, WA 12 16 11:00.8
Lap 2 8 01:31:08.0
6 #25 ERIC HANNA - HON
TUCSON, AZ 16 15 11:30.3
Lap 3 8 01:33:03.9
7 #7 BRANDON CIPTAK - YAM
FLAGSTAFF, AZ 24 14 12:52.5
Lap 2 7 01:34:31.8
8 #24 JOSH FINK - YAM
PHOENIX, AZ 25 13 11:47.8
Lap 4 7 01:35:54.6
DNF #316 CHRIS CLAY - YAM
AZTEC, NM DNF 0 - 0 00:00:00.0
DNF #113 GREY FERRANDO - YAM
SALEM, OR DNF 0 - 0 00:00:00.0

dalewannbe

#8 Post by dalewannbe »

What map you running, you may want to switch to a more aggressive map with the different pipe.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey check out #5 in those results!He used to run dales also.

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

I am running the stock VR map. I assume that is the cannibal map. I will try different maps and see what happens. I don't know if I'll get to it today, but before the race this weekend I hope to do a little experimenting.