May 28th Ft.Dodge Iowa Harescramble

yamadjs08

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

Well over a week later I finally attempt to post a race report LOL. This was my second race in this series and it was a blast, the first race was more a race of shear luck, more mud than you could imagine...
Anyways its a little over 2 hours away and we leave a 6am, we end up getting there at around 8:30 and race starts at 10. Leaves me plenty of time to register and check my quad over. I have been having trouble with starting lately, it takes a while to start and so on, I had my IACV blocked and I think that might have had something to do with it too. So I unblocked that and leaned out my offset a little and it seems to start a bit better, except for my IACV seems to be working backwards, when its cold it idles extremely low (like stalling point) and over a couple minutes idles up to normal and when its warm its fine. To be sure that I wasnt last of the line I hooked up a second battery and it seemed to work great, starts super now.

Alright on to the race, it was my good friends first race, he was on a 2005 predator, he was a bit nervous but was just planning on taking it a bit easy and seeing what its all about. So we line up and sit on the line with everyone else for a LONG time, they must have had some troubles or something because it took forever. We start with a dead engine start, and its a blast. Finally we hear those majic words... "Hands on helmets!" And a few seconds later "10 seconds" and bam the hat drops, my dale fired up decently quick and Im about mid pack off the line, and it is a big line LOL, we had some 40 people in our class alone. Im happy with the start and am making passes left and right. Our first lap was actually a lap and a half being how the start was, but it worked out. It was a brutal course but a fun one, almost perfect conditions too. Although it was 90 degrees and breezy, it was tacky in the trails but dusty out in the open. This was one of the shorter courses in the series, a little over 5 miles long and our races are always 2 hours long or maybe shorter depending on the weather. About my 3rd lap I was already feeling beat which is sad to say, I hadnt been able to get much practice in at all before that race and it showed. I was still doing decent though, I believe I was in like 13th by my 4th lap and it was all down hill from there. For some reason my bars were slowly coming down, jump after jump they were coming down... My clamps must not have been tight or something, so I ride a lap with them **** near upside down and I cant turn because they are hitting my knees and stuff. Finally, checkpoint and pits, my dad had noticed and as I pulled in him and some other guys yanked them up and my dad just happened to grab the right size allen, he tightened the clamps and I was off, I felt like a whole new rider, I downed a bottle of water while they fixed my bars and it was like a new boost LOL. (I really need a hydration pack). I than got stuck on this easy up hill section, what happened was I slid way more than I had wanted and my swingarm got caught on some rut. Took forever to get it unstuck and it just slaughtered that new found energy I had. Anyways when it was all said and done I got 7 laps in, and placed 17th out of around 40 in my class, not nearly as well as I wanted but I had a blast and thats all that counts. My buddy on his predator ended up with a DNF, it jumped timing and the chain was slapping and he got scared and shut it down. Our next race is this weekend in Waukon and its supposed to be rocky as ****... Im definitely going to take it easy on this one, I cant afford to mess something major up on my quad... But I cant wait and my quad has been treating me excellent lately and Im so happy about it for once LOL, so many little problems at one time just tend to drag you down, but its cool now. Sorry for writing a book LOL...

My dad got a ton of pics, Ill post some up.

The line, my class is that first row...[attachment=358:attachment]

yamadjs08

#2 Post by yamadjs08 »

The start...

Pretty much bottle necks and than 180 degree turn...

This is actually at the checkpoint, but our first lap was a lap and a half so they counted the first half from the start as part of one lap...

Right before the checkpoint...

Hill right by parking...

On the upside of that hill facing the other way...

Right before the checkpoint again...

Getting scanned at the checkpoint...

Best picture!

Done, finally... Man I was beat! And thats my dad, gotta give him mad props for helping me out and being supportive!
[img]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/82/fortdodgerace0562ot.jpg[/img]

Also it seems that some of the images may come up as "IPB image" or something, just refresh and it will be there, also sorry for that very first one being so big...

dalewannbe

#3 Post by dalewannbe »

Great job and thanks for the report. 17th out of 40 is pretty good for only your second race. I think my second race, I was just happy to finish the race.

Get a camel back, it will be the best $40-50 bucks you ever spent. I also never ran tears off until this year. I highly recommend tear offs. Nothing is better than having good vision. Plus they help keep your lenses from getting scratched. My tear offs helped me out a lot at the Moose Run, I wish I would have put more than 3 on.

Post up more pictures if you have them.

You look pretty beat in that last picture.......2 hours is long time to race. You need to hit a couple one hour races. Its kinda nice not being really tired after a race!