Great Lakes Quad Series, round 7

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

GLQRA round 7 in beautiful Sugar Camp Wisconsin. Just south of Eagle River.
Sugar Camp is a long sand track with some nice natural drop offs, some nice table tops, and three small doubles to keep you honest. The most unique feature is the long whoops section. They are deep, irregular and go around a curve to make it even more challenging. As with any sandy track, horse power is a big plus here.
I have been pretty excited lately about racing because I am feeling pretty good, I feel like I can start pushing a little harder. I'm still a little gimpy from a knee injury last year, but its feeling pretty good. Anyway, I'm pretty optimistic going into this weekend. I really want to show these guys that I can do well with this quad in stock form against their modded hondas and yamahas. ATKs and cannnondales really aren't getting much respect out here.
The first moto. There are seven of us. This is the Senior class. It is very competitive, I know six of the seven guys want to win REAL BAD. The gate drops and I ease out the clutch and wheely again. I'm getting sick of this. I have to learn to ride. I'll be practicing holeshots alot between now and the next race. I better order a new clutch right now I suppose. Anyway, by the first turn I am probably in 6th? After several tight turns and jumps in front of the crowd, we drop down into a huge hole, and then climb almost straight up back out of it, and then it is a long straight stretch that you can briefly hit 5th for a second. Here is where I am getting my butt kicked. The big hp motors are pulling way faster here than mine. I close back up in the next corner by braking later, but it would be nice to be on them already so I could spend my time working on passing instead of catching up. After spending 3 long laps pounding man and machine, I ended up 4th. Not where I wanted to be, but is was FUN. The one big drop off really is almost straight down about ummm, well a long way, and I went off it once side by side with a yfz, and I know he was crapping his pants. I probably shouldn't have done it, but I wanted to pass him bad. He got to the corner first though. But I tried. And I never touched him. I race as clean as possible. That was about the highlight of the first moto. That was cool.....

Second moto! Wheelie again, not as bad, I shifted a couple times and got it down, In the first corner I got pinched off so I had to lift or wreck us both....he wrecked on the next table top right in front of me. That was an easy pass.! At that point I was in 5th. I was going to either pass this guy or crash trying. I was right on him, and I just wasn't going to let him get away. I tried to pass him on the big doube, and he kind of slowed down just before it so I had to move over just a little and I got a little sideways, and my rear tires clipped the landing, but I was on the gas so I was able to hang on and make the pass. So, now I got after the three leaders that are running one after the other. I think the rough track was kind of nuetralizing their power advantage because I was able to stay a lot closer this moto, but I still couldn't pass. I made many attempts in the corners, I tried everything, inside, outside, high low, I worked that guy hard, but just couldn't pull it off. He rode well, I thoght i could rattle him but he didn't make a mistake. Ended up 4th again, but this time the three in front of me were right there in a real tight group. I was a lot happier after the second moto because I was right there with the leaders, and they weren't pulling away. And it was real fun battling it out. The quad ran perfect again. I do want to lower my ride height, I'll have to have my rear shock re-sprung I guess to get some more adjustment there. And practice holeshots. I am determined to beat these guys with my stock motor. I have threee more chances with this series. Next up is Denmark wisconsin in two weeks.

pic

pic

pic

pic

In the third picture you can see the back of that white car...that is the outside of the corner after you hit 5th gear briefly... I wouldn't park my car there. Thats just me though.

pic

azcannon

#2 Post by azcannon »

looking good

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome report !Hey what gearing are you running?14-39 you can start in third especially at Denmark which is concrete.Will be at Denmark on Wed about 3:00pm with Berger practicing holeshots.Come on out.

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

I'm running 13/42. I am planning on switching to 14/40. Do you think 14/39 would be better? In the past at Denmark I usually smoke the tires on the concrete when the gate drops. I really need to practice.

dalewannbe

#5 Post by dalewannbe »

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had fun. Go get them next time.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Aug 6 2006, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm running 13/42. I am planning on switching to 14/40. Do you think 14/39 would be better? In the past at Denmark I usually smoke the tires on the concrete when the gate drops. I really need to practice.

Are you sure?Cripes you must have been near rev limiter in fifth at Crandon!14/40 would be fine.Do a burnout right before the 2minute then third gear.It will launch!Need to practice for third gear starts though.I hold throttle 1/2,gate down,slide clutch out and when you feel it hook wide open with clutch out and bang one more gear about ten ft before the turn.You will be in front at that point biggrin.gif

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

I still have the stock cannibal gearing which I am pretty sure is 13/42. I have the 14/40 sitting here ready to go. I can't wait for Denmark. Those other guys are getting pretty cocky. The guys in front of me have big power. Rich has his 522 or 523 Max Power Ice Cube dynoed at Rossier at 58 horse, Jerry D. has his yfz with the Max Power 480 Ice Cube, I don't think his has been dynoed; Mike has his Raptor on its second bore job, I believe he said it is now a 720? Sound right? Last year it was a 696cc. These guys are also spending plenty of money on suspension. At Denmark, I'm going to take some pics of the competition before they get dirty so you guys can see what I am up against. I really do think I can beat these guys with the stock ATK VR with the MX mapping and suspension. I am still using the stock Fox shock which sucks, but I haven't been able to ruin it yet. It is actually performing pretty good. My only real complaint is that it sits too high. For being non-adjustable, it has been working pretty good.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Yea I agree really suprised me too see all those big motors.You've got the skills but Denmark is a power track especially on the uphills and back straight.

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

Thanks for the compliment. Your right about Denmark being a power track. It starts right away with the uphill holeshot.....should be a great race.

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

Well, Denmark got cancelled due to insurance reasons. I raced somewhere else instead and got my but kicked.