More racing, more a$$ kicking

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

Unfortunately the *** getting kicked is mine. I raced A class MX at a D-16 race at Wittenberg Wi, and got a 7 out of 9. Quad ran great, got a rock stuck in the brake rotor during holeshot of moto 2, that was exciting. I'm just not up to speed in the A class.
Last weekend, Aug. 26 and 27, I raced at Arkansaw Wi. Saturday, 8/26, was a D-16 race. I raced the A class. There were only 4 of us, and of course I got 4th. The good news is, I was right on the 3rd place guys tail both motos. Once again, the quad ran great. I changed to 14/40 gearing before the race and I really like it. In the second moto I blew the rear shock (fox). Fortunately I had a spare ohlins along for the ride. The next day was a D-23 Quad only race, and I didn't want to miss it. I changed the shock and air filter and went down and signed up for the next days race.
8/27 Sunday. It was a beautiful day for racing. Not too hot, but nice and sunny. For D-23, I signed up for Vet +30. I figure this should be a little easier than A. Well, not quite. In moto 1, I ride clean and fast, and end up 9 of 10. Well,,,, this is getting old. I feel faster than ever, and get 9th. Needless to say, I'm not very happy. I had fun, but I like to win, you know? So I spend the next few hours waiting for moto 2 trying to figure out what I can do better. I decide it is all in the hole-shot. With this new gearing, i"m afraid to start in 3rd, so I am starting in 2nd. I decided I'd start in 2nd again, just to make sure I don't kill it.....Well, when we line up for the 2nd moto, I picked a bad gate. When the gate dropped, the guys on either side of me shot out to a quad length lead, and then they slammed together! Nice! That is two easy positions just gained. But, I had to go wide to aviod them and ended up almost last again in the hole shot. I ended up 6th in this moto. I'm disgusted by my performance. I'm looking for answers........................................................
This week, I have been working on suspension. I was able to adjust the new rear ohlins lower, and I moved a spacer on the fronts to drop that down. I think I'll be able to corner better now. I will be doing lots of practicing over labor day weekend. I will be practicing lots of holeshots...................lots of holeshots..........

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow you were busy!I think you just need more power to get some holeshots.You and I know the vast majority of those quads you run with arent stock anymore.Nice pics also.

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

None of the quads I'm racing against are stock. I really wanted to win a race with this thing in stock form, before I do some engine work. I have another chance at Wittenburg 9/9. I'm starting to think I'm not a good enough rider. I'm going to practice hard until then and see what happens. More power for the holeshots would be nice, but I think more skill and more balls would help too. I'm working on that.

Guy310

#4 Post by Guy310 »

These young kids are getting faster and faster. The A class is getting more competitive as more machines are offered and even though this is a good thing for the masses, individually sometimes it sucks. Seat time helps also with your confidence. As soon as you hit one race good, you will start to feel better about what you are doing.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

True.For holeshot if you want to go all out just pick a inside line.You will get there first but probably wont make corner without going way wide.Trick is to get to the corner first I think you have enough motor for that from inside.Then brake IN the corner.They will have to brake also or you know what happens.Its a chance you might have to take.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

Now that I have an ohlins shock on the rear, I found I can lower the ride height another inch. I was at 9 inches under the frame before, now I'm just a touch over 8. Much better. I can go into corners a lot harder now. I have triple rate ohlins on the front, and I had to move a spacer from the smallest spring to the middle spring to drop the front to match the rear. It works pretty good. The transition from the middle spring to the main is kind of abrupt now, but at least the overall bottoming resistance is the same, which I was happy with before.
I spent a lot of time riding this weekend. During the week I'll practice holeshots. And make sure my medical insurance premiums are all paid up.

Guy310

#7 Post by Guy310 »

You should try to run the sag, or ground clearance at about 7-7.5 inches. See haow that works out for you. With extended a-arms and axle, I would have to say that this might help you corner and maybe even start better.

UpsMan

#8 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (Guy310 @ Sep 4 2006, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should try to run the sag, or ground clearance at about 7-7.5 inches. See haow that works out for you. With extended a-arms and axle, I would have to say that this might help you corner and maybe even start better.

I'd like to be that low, but just over 8 was the lowest I could go with the spring I have on the rear shock. If I loosen the preload anymore the spring will fall out at full extension. This winter I plan on getting my shocks redone so I can get lower. For now this will have to do.

Guy310

#9 Post by Guy310 »

I see.

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate any input anyone can give me. This is the first year I've run one of these quads, so they are new to me.