GLQRA, Wittenberg Wi 9/9

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

I raced two classes today. Senior and Vet A. The track is real nice, lots of big tabletops, two small doubles, and a nice whoops section that is just a *****. It rained last night, but not much, so it is fairly dry. 60 degrees.
First moto Senior: 6 of us show up. I got last gate pick, so I'm lined up on the inside. I think about c27s advice about going into the corner hard and seeing what happens. As I sat waiting for the gate to drop, that was my plan. The gate drops, and I get off good, but in the corner I am already getting pressure from the outside, so I play it safe and ease in. I end up 4th right away. Half way through the first lap, the two guys right in front of me tangle up in a corner and I am so close I t-bone the guy and pop his rear tire off the bead. Well, we all untangled really fast but the other two guys passed us. The guy with the flat takes off apparently not knowing or caring he has a flat. In short order I pass two guys and am closing in on the guy with the flat. I pass him coming out of a corner and in the next corner he rolled it I found out later. So, now I am in third and riding my butt off trying to close in on second, but just can't get to them. They are not pulling away, so I'm not too disappointed.
Second moto Senior. This time I get started fourth again, make one pass on the double jump, which really pissed the guy off, because right after the double is a sharp corner and I had the inside. Too bad. I quickly pulled away but again couldn't catch the two in front of me. They were not pulling away, but I just couldn't catch them. I go 3-3, 3rd overall.
Vet A moto 1: There are five of us. Our class was combined with 16-24A, with a double gate drop, them going first. I pick a spot behind one of the really fast 16-24A guys. Their gate drops and they take off. I settle into his tracks and wait for our gate to drop.......it does, I pop the clutch,and nothing!!! I was hung up on my skid plate...Just for a second, but by then the guys are half way to the corner!! Well, I give chase and soon catch and pass ****** old quad with peterock on board. After two more uneventful laps I come upon the third place guy upside down. Easy pass. Now i'm in third and closing in on the second place guy, but I ran out of time. At the checkers I was right on his tail.....
Vet A moto 2: Better holeshot, not by much. I really want at least second place so I can make some money. The first lap was pretty hectic, real dusty. I only remember passing one guy that went wide in a corner, and then I rode with him on my tail for two or three laps until he got tired and I got some breathing room....good new is I was in second place. The bad news is, first place was checked out. I end up happy, winning 2nd overall to collect enough money to pay for my entry at least.

Once again the quad ran excellent. Not a single problem. Yes, I got a new helmet. Really white. I need to put some stickers on it I guess.

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

Great report. At least you raced for free. Get us some more pictures!

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

The pictures aren't very good.

These pictures were taken at a chicane between a long straight and a nice rhythm section. It was a pretty technical track. Half the track was damp and tacky, and half was dusty and rocky like in the pictures. All in all it was great fun.

azcannon

#4 Post by azcannon »

good report nice to see some ATK/Dales out there

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool!

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

Yeah, Roger said he was going to put his nose out there in the first corner when I was talking with him on the line.......................he was close but backed down. I think he was just being nice and wanted to hang back to lead his wife around the track. His starts were a lot better this week though.

Myself on the other hand...........not sure where I got all the traction from on the starting line, but it never helps when your front end is so high in the air that you are looking at your gas cap.

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (peterock @ Sep 11 2006, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, Roger said he was going to put his nose out there in the first corner when I was talking with him on the line.......................he was close but backed down.

I chickened out.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey I dont blame you.Really to make it work in the inside others have to lift and we all know that doesnt happen often!Once you do it though and get the confidence that you know you will be there well ahead of them you will do it again.

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

the whoops section

the whoops section

a little dusty